Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with choosing a telescope- plz help me

im interested in buying the celeston 8SE or the Celestron 6SE which are nearlly a £1000. ofcourse i dont want to spend that much but i feel i have to because i dont know how the zooming and stuff works, so i read somewhere these can see alot of stuff. ever since i was a kid i wanted to see the rings of saturn with my own two eyes, but i want to see it close.not like a little penut disk kind of thing.

i want my hard earned money to go towards the magnification and apperture, so i can see alot of stuff and not just for the fancy electrical components such as the go to systems.

i want to be able to buy additional lens for it to see even closer. i know most of you wil say go to an astronomy club, but i dont have time sometimes- honestly- and i did go last time, and its full of the older genration of people who look at me in a funny way- and theres no girls- hahaha-

anyway, i would love it if someone could recommend me something fantastic that can see stuff with high magnification and a breif lesson on how the apperture/magnification works.

i love astronomy and please i need your help. i want to buy a telescope before the end of this month

thank you

P.S sorry for sounding toooo needy.:icon_eek:

Those are both nice scopes and would do what you want with them, to a point. There is a practical limit to the magnification you can use thanks to a number of things, but it's basically double the aperture in mm... so the 6SE is 300x and the 8SE is 400x, however, that's under ideal conditions, and it's often better to get a much better, yet smaller view of the planets than a distorted yet bigger view. Are you also wanting to look at deep sky targets too ?

The mount in both cases is a goto tracking mount, and that does add to the cost of the setup.

An alternate approach, if goto is not a requirement, would be a large dobsonian mounted scope. The large aperture allows for fainter targets to be seen more easily (gathers more light to the eye) and whilst not having quite the same focal length, is still pretty good, and are a lot cheaper for the same aperture.

For instance Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian leaving you money to invest in upgraded other components, such as eyepieces, a telrad finder etc.

Ive been asking around, and ive been telling people that i dont want all the fancy equipment at this time, because the price will go up, so most of the time, people have been telling me that, the dobsonians are good for the price...... im thinking about buying this. The

Sky-Watcher Skyliner-250PX 10 inch Dobsonian

Please do have a look at it and the deatails and the specs of it.

could you tell me what can i expect to see with this and how close saturn and stuff will look. i basically want to see everything and dont want to limit myself to just planets, or just stars.

could you tell me how easy this is to use aswell and also advise me on similar telescopes that have the same specs but on a different mount or style.

thank you

Hi Raju, welcome to the forum,

taking jgs001 example of a 8" dob will give you some cracking views on many objects, the supplied eyepieces 10mm and 25mm will give you a magnification of 48x for the 10mm and 120x for the 25mm, a couple more ep's say a 15mm for mid power giving 80x and for starting your observations a widefield low power ep say a 32mm giving 37.5x or you could buy a decent barlow which will enable you to use the ep's in two formats ie 10mm with 48x and when barlowed it will be effectively be a 5mm giving a power of 240x probably as high a power as you should go for.

Of course the dob is a manuel scope, although there are GO TO versions, so it may take a bit of getting used to but it will provide some tremendous views.

I have not yet used one but can see myself acquiring one in the future as they give big returns on aperture for the price one pays. I'm sure you'll get some more opinions on your chioce. Good luck and happy stargazing. :icon_eek:

Alan

Hi Raju. Welcome to SGL.

Both 6SE and 8SE are very good scope, but don't expect Hubble quality. On the 6SE you can get Jupiter's bands and Saturn's ring with no problem. In the UK, the sky often have very poor seeing even if its clear, which often limits how much you can see through any scope.

Good choice of scoop Raju if you go for the 250P but be warned . what you see in mags and books are taken using scoops like the hubble. You will see Saturns rings and Jupitord moons.....they are fantastic sights...........with a 250 I expect Saturn to be about thumb size using the max EP of about 10mm. So please do not expect to much.............................but you will still get the WOW factor

hi naju, i to only intended to spend a 1000 pound but its more into the 12 hundred pound mark now and theres still a few things a want some more ep`s decent ones filetrs books a fan ` and am glad a got the 12 inch dob a was gonna get the six inch but glad i did not now the 10" sounds good

pat

Archived