Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS question

Hi gang!

After you've stacked all your frames together where do you guys usually do your post processing (such as mucking about with those curve thingys)? Do you just use DSS itself?

Tried changing the curves, saturation on there but I have absolutely no idea what I am doing!

It just seems that a single frame is better than anything I can stack and play around with. :icon_eek:

Hi Steve,

DSS is not really designed to do the post processing...it provides a few stretch features just to give you a quick look-see. The best thing to do is take the Autosave.tif file that DSS generates and read it into a processing package. Lots of people use Photoshop, I use PixInsight, others use AstroArt or MaximDL....and the list goes on.

Cheers

Simon

Ok guys could do with your opinion here -

1st pic is an example of 17 single exposures I took. The second pic is the 17 all stacked together, no darks, and mucked about with on Iris. Does the 2nd pic look over processed? Any hints and tips on how to make it better? (I know the original image is rubbish anyway - I don't have a tripod here at the mo so had to lay the camera on a table and directly pointed upwards)

EDIT - ok having problems uploading right now will try again later

Will have a look into uploading it on there too Thermos but here it is for now...

1st is an example of single frame and second 17 stacked but with no darks -

Not sure how to crop the black uneven rim at the bottom and I think I've overdone the processing

EDIT - now that I've uploaded it it looks very green!!! Oh well first attempt

post-18680-133877517484_thumb.jpg

post-18680-133877517491_thumb.jpg

You used IRIS for this? The tutorials explain how to restore a reasonable white balance and how to fix the uneven illumination. Btw, I still use DSS for the registering and stacking, even though IRIS can do that too.

Archived