Focus problems. 1000D to 200P (pics)

Just fitted my 1000D to my Skywatcher 200P an it won’t focus. The distance from the seconday mirror to the camera is too long. Looks like this

1000d_1.jpg

These are the bits I am using.

1000d_2.jpg

What I think I need is a 2" to 1 1/4 low profile adapter. If I try to fit the middle component straight to the OTA, it's sloppy and runs off centre. Can anyone help whith what I need to fix this.

Thanks for looking

Pete

Just fitted my 1000D to my Skywatcher 200P an it won’t focus. The distance from the seconday mirror to the camera is too long.

What I think I need is a 2" to 1 1/4 low profile adapter. If I try to fit the middle component straight to the OTA, it's sloppy and runs off centre. Can anyone help whith what I need to fix this.

Hey Pete,

I have a very similar set up as you. What exactly do you mean by sloppy and runs off centre?

I connect my DSLR directly using a t-ring to direct camera attachment that came with my scope. like this http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z327/add453/Equipment%20shots/DSCN2820.jpg

Could this not work for you?

Adz, with this scope is the only extra part needed to attach the 1000d the tring?

I cannot guarantee for your scope Bob, but for mine which is very similar all I needed to begin with taking prime focus images, was a t-ring. I bought a canon one and was chuffed to see that at least initially I didn't need to buy another adapter. As you can see from my image though, one of the fixing screws is in a rather annoying place against the built in flash of the camera, so a large amount of fiddling is needed from me.

The pictures I have taken in my beginning of prime focus imaging are available on my link in my signature. All of them are seriously zoomed out though, I presume this is what happens when you do not use an adapter, anyone...?

I use a 2" zero profile adapter. This gets your DSLR as close to the focuser as possible and gives maximum illumination of the camera sensor. Here's an illustration at Orion Telescopes: 2in. Zero-Profile Prime Focus Camera Adapter | Orion Telescopes

James this may be exactly what I need. Is the 2" preferred over the 1.25" because of larger light gathering and less vignetting? Is there anything like this from a UK seller?

Thanks, Adam.

There should have been a 1.25" adapter that came with the scope. You unscrew the 1.25 part to expose the t Thread.. thats where you attach the SLR with a canon to t ring

Yes but what I am asking is, is it better to do away with all of that and attach the t-ring to a 2" adapter for better images?

Sorry.. need to make it a little more clear. The 1.25" atachment that comes with the scope is 1.25" barrel screwed on to a slightly oversized 2" adapter. Unscrew the 1.25" barrel will leave you an oversized 2" adapter (made for the skwatcher focuser) with a T thread on the top ready to attach your camera.

And yes going 2" to attach your camera to the scope for prime focus is best. The above is the best, most easy way to achieve this.

Thank you for your replies. I bought the scope second hand and guess there are a few parts missing. The 2” to 1” ¼ adapter I was using came with a WO eyepiece and whilst it fit perfectly into the 2” eyepiece adapter, It was sloppy in the focus tube, it’s 7mm too small in diameter. Confused? So was I!

To cut a long story short and after looking at Adz’s arrangement, I have modded another 2” eyepiece adapter that fits properly into the focus tube. It’s now about as close as I can get it so it should be OK.

1000d_3.jpg

There seems to be an awful lot of different tube diameters / threads needed to connect stuff :icon_eek:

Once again thanks,

Pete

Archived