NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Setting up my scope?

Are there any tutorials on setting up a Sky-watcher 114 Skyhawk reflector... mine seems loose on the mount? Dont know if I'm setting up correctly? I tend to just point the telescope where I want it..havent worked out how to use all the scales, just find what I want through the finderscope and use the micro controls to track..

Have you locked off the clutches that control the RA and DEC axis - you should find them near to where your slow motion controls are attached. As far as the "scales" are concerned, I wouldn't worry about them as they are too small to be of any use and are there to give the impression that the tripod is a bit scientific. On a very large observatory type scope you will see them being used but the circumference is much larger and hence more accurate.

Clear skies

James

Very helpful advice, all polar aligned and happily rotating scope around using RA/DEC, super view of jupiter and moons just now, also some fab shooting stars...have learnt so much in a couple of days on the forum!

Hi Tigaroo,

Sounds like something isn't quite right. It should be easy to move the scope to different positions - see here ....

Astronomy Boy: Animated Equatorial Mount Tutorial

but you should then be able to "lock" it in position and then move with the fine adjustment controls.

Mike

Thank is a great link thanks Mike, it saves me from having to clutter up this forum with another nooby question!

As far as help I can offer, as mentioned above if the mount feels loose check first the 2 clutches on the axis are tight. Then that the locking screen on the mount is tight, mine also has a safety screw in case something serious goes on.

HTH, Adam.

Yes Adz, you can see the whole sky...you loosen off the RA and DEC and then you're scope should swing into any position...however I do find that the micro control levers sometimes foul eachother, but they can be switched to either side...also need to rotate the tube sometimes to get the eyepiece in the correct position. Well tahts how its working for me at the mo...but I'm just an amateur at this!

Yes Adz, you can see the whole sky...you loosen off the RA and DEC and then you're scope should swing into any position...however I do find that the micro control levers sometimes foul eachother, but they can be switched to either side...also need to rotate the tube sometimes to get the eyepiece in the correct position. Well tahts how its working for me at the mo...but I'm just an amateur at this!

Thanks for the answer, I was just about to then ask about EP position. Many a time I am sure I have got it right, only to find that I have to squat or similar in some awful compromising position! I just rotate the tube within the rings presumably.

As a great piece of advice I can recommend for astronomers at my level of photography. Grab or make your own Bahitov Mask. Ever since I have been using mine it has enabled me to get pinpoint focus every time.

Adam

Archived