Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for Bins & Physical Shops in the E.Mids Area

First post folks so first off a big hello to you all

I'm just getting into the whole astronomy/astroimaging lark and whilst I'm waiting for an ISA to mature and give me the funds for a scope and some decent lenses for my Canon 550d I'm looking at getting a decent pair of binoculars

I think I'm after something in the 15x70 range as that seems to be a nice balance between output and physical size although I'm open to suggestions

I'm after some recommendations for makes and models but I have a couple of caveats and I need your help to work out the best available

Whilst for the most part these will be used for simple observation in my back garden I do chase eclipses and would like to use my new bins to enhance my viewing of them

Given that premise they need to be able to take filters and be tripod mountable. They also need to be reasonably lightweight (as far as my suggested range will allow) so I can fly with them

Lastly I need a pair capable of a smallish interpupillary distance

I have an old pair of Tasco Zip 2012's that my grandparents gave me as a kid but I've never been able to use them properly as the interpupillary distance is too big and I can't resolve my viewing to a single image (Double vision at 12x mag is off putting to say the least!)

I'm aware that this is a sign the collimation could be off and given they were a cheap buy originally I don't doubt it is but they've always felt physically too wide for my eyes

Given that I seem to have freakishly close eyes for a bloke I'd rather visit a shop and try out a range of bins to find the ones most suitable

If you know of any places in the E.Mids please shout out!

Sorry that was a long post

Many thanks in advance for your help

Dave

Hi Dave. Welcome to SGL. Not sure where you are in East Midlands - a big place.

Have you looked at Rother Valley Optics? Near the M1 Sheffield way. Very much into astro/nature with a decent showroom and experience. Watch out though. I seem to call in for a £5 accessory, then see all the goodies and spend rather more.

Yeah I've seen those mentioned a few times and are the sort of thing I'm after however they don't appear to take filters which is a very important requirement for me

I'm trying to make my eclipse chasing kit as portable as possible and won't be dragging a scope along with me relying instead on bins and large camera lenses to get what I want

That way I can take everything that is valuable as hand luggage and only have my tripods in my checked luggage

I have the Helios Stellar 15x70's that I got off ebay, & they're superb. Not too heavy that you can't hold steady without a monopod or tripod (although some form of support is required).

Try FLO's website as they have them new, but also keep an eye on classifieds.

chris

Archived