Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium help

Hi, I dont know the best place to post this as Stellarium isnt really considered equipment but there seemed no other correct place to put it.

I really need some but this is only for anyone who has windows 7 64 bit, basicaly stellarium is not made for this so i have got XP mode to run stellarium in, only it isnt running at all well, its very slow and glitchy, i am not sure if it needs to eb configured properly to run in xp mode or if xp mode needs to be configured to run stellarium! xp mode is completley new to me so i dont have a clue what i'm doing, hope someone can help!

cheers

Jay

I have Stellarium running on XP desktop, Vista laptop, and on my partners laptop Windows 7 64-bit, with no probs. It should be self configuring. Do you keep your drivers updated regularly - particularly for graphics?

Otherwise you'd need to define the problem more precisely :)

The problem is i did have stellarium working ok with windows 7 64 bit but then i started getting all kinds of problems which eventualy lead to the death of my computer, my freind who built the computer for me was quite sure it was the stellarium program that caused all these problems so suggested against downloading it again, unless it was in windows xp mode, i did look on the stellarium site and though i saw something that it was not compatible with windows 7 64 bit, but worked ok with 32 bit so i got the xp mode and downlaoded stellarium on that, but it is so slow, im sorry i cant really explain it any more than that, its like a very deleyed reaction when i use the mouse to scan across the sky or zoom in on a object it doesnt actually do that action for quite soem time after, and it wont allow me to put in a new location.

one problem i did get when i was using it on windows 7 64 bit on the pc that died was when i was moving the cursor to scan around the sky it kept flickering between stellarium and the other window i had open in the background

Thanks for the help, I did suspect it wasnt the stellarium that caused the problem but i wasnt going to argue with my freind about it as he does know what hes talking about when it comes to building computers, i also looked it up on the stellarium wiki and it does say that if you have windows 7 64 bit you will need to run it in xp mode, " Stellarium can be built in Windows XP as below. If you use Vista 32 bit or Windows 7 32 bit. The procedure should be the same. However I have tried Vista home basic and Qt creator does not work there because it needs cwctype declared. Msys compiling works OK in Vista home. If you have the 64 bit version it will be necessary to install the Virtual XP version from Microsoft (470MB download) and the virtual computer interface from Microsoft or VMware. " it gives details how to set it up in xp mode and its very complicated, a little to complicated for me so i think i will go without, which is depressing as i really enjoyed stellarium. i dont want to risk downloading it on this new computer, despite everyone saying it works fine on their windows 7, there must be some reason the developers have mentioned about needing to use it in xp mode.

Make sure your openGL drivers are installed properly and rendering is on. Stellarium runs perfectly well in Win 7 64 bit and there is no reason why it should trash your PC. Having been in IT for 30 odd years I can assure you your friend does not know what he is talking about. :)

Archived