NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trouble with binos - focusing?

Claire

I've been out tonight for a bit (went to look at the ISS - I think we saw it, it was a white 'star like' object that appeared under the moon, travelled towards Jupiter for a few seconds, then got fainter and disappeared?)

Anyway, I went across to the moon and focused the binos. The ones I have are 12x50

I've read to focus them I need to cover one lens, look through with both eyes and focus so it is clear on a distant object. Next, cover the other lens, looking again with both eyes and focus via the eyepiece one.

I've done this with the moon and I managed to make it really clear and nice, but I got almost like two reflections of the moon, one to the 'north west' and one to the 'south east' I managed to adjust using the eyepiece to make them all but disappear, but not fully.

I went across to Jupiter, and the Pleides and Betelguese and tried to focus on those, but I seem to get an 'orb' of the star just off to the side of where the star is. No matter how much I adjust the eyepiece I can't seem to get a pinpick sharp star.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong please :)

Hi Claire, I'm no expert & haven't had this happen on my binos, but it sounds like the collimation might be out. Depending on what make it is there's sometimes screws under the end caps to adjust - do a search on the forum for collimation.

Just as an aside, not teaching you to suck eggs lol, but have you got the binos adjusted to your eyes correctly eg distance apart?

chris

I did wipe the lens after we were outside a bit but i guess it might be as they need to cool down?

honestly, guys im so new to this that even if you think it's something so obvious i probably don't know.

these binos are like 25 years old, maybe even longer. maybe that has something to do with it too? i may buy myself a pair of newer ones too.

i cant alter the binoculars. they are in a fixed position. im not sure on the make either im sorry.

Hi Claire' just a idea in the day time have a look at something which is at a distance away.Then when you focus in and you see two objects instead of one may be the alinement with one of the mirrors could be out inside the binoculars.Mark

Don't worry about being new or asking what might seem like simple questions, we've all been there when starting out & I still ask them :)

I'm intrigued that the two tubes or barrells of your bino's are fixed and can't be adjusted to the distance your eyes are apart usually where the focusing wheel is - if your eyes are not aligned you will not see the full field of view through each tube & see black shadows as you'd be looking throgh the edge of each optical tube.

You're right with the focus adjustment, First look thru the half that doesn't have the adjustable eyepiece (put the cap on it or close that eye) and focus on a distant object using the focusing wheel on top until crisp image seen, then cap that half & look through the other adjusting focus only with the eyepiece, when crisp focus seen you're done & shouldnt have to touch that eyepiece again.

ahh! it does move! it was really stiff i think because it hasn't been used a lot at all, but i can move them apart now!

the type of binos are tasco zip 2012 if that means anything to anyone?

i will have a go with them during the day and try that.

should i keep them outside to avoid them clouding up? or will prolonged 'coldness' damage them?

Sounds like you're using the right technique. But the binocs sound dodgey if you can't bend the tubes together on the hinge - which is essential really when focussing most all binocs :)

Edit: The cold won't hurt them but do be aware of dew.

Hi Claire' they are great for viewing any higher with the mag then you would need a tripod for the binoculars.Myself i use a pair of 10x50s bins just for holding but with my 20x80s bins i got to use the tripod.No in the day time just go out with the bins and focus on some thing at a distance.It is different in the night when the air is colder at the moment and body heat and when breathing close to the lens can mist them up.Mark

I'm afraid that the name Tasco is very bad news in astronomy. I think they will probably be out of collimation. However, very bright objects at night are a hard test for any bins and the distance apart and focus of each barrel do have to be just right, as does the position of your eye relative to the lenses. The forum sponsors, FLO, have some good mid priced bins with honest write ups about what they offer.

Olly

Ah that's not a problem Olly, like I say they have been borrowed from my Grandad whose had them years. I'm sure now that I've had a go with binos im going to be going out and getting my own :)

the type of binos are tasco zip 2012 if that means anything to anyone?

Sorry to have to say this unfortunately it does mean something to me. My Dad bought me one of these about 30 years ago. They are tolerable for terrestrial use, but very difficult for astronomy. The main problem is the "zip" bit, which is Tasco-speak for "quick-focus". As you have probably already discovered, this has two consequences:

1. It is extremely difficult to get fine focus.

2. They are also "quick-defocus.

Well done for persevering with them -- the good news is that you will find a decent binoc to be much easier.

im going to be going out and getting my own

Please read the "evaluation" page here before you do so -- it may save you some grief.

I'm afraid that the name Tasco is very bad news in astronomy.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement and not entirely accurate: in the 1960s and 70s they produced some very reasonable kit. A friend still has an equatorially mounted 70mm refractor from that era -- despite having uncoated optics, it is as good as a lot of the stuff available today, and the mount is a lot sturdier.

thanks for the link teten and the info on those bins. i will have to look at buying some more if i can't get them sorted. i got pony's link and im going to have a play around with them tomorrow.

Archived