Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium telescope control problem HEQ5 pro

I hope some one can help or explain what is going on.

Last night I was taking advantage of the nice clear skys.

I set the mount and scope up and did a 3 star align using the controller, then using the controller I slewed to Jupiter to check everything was working fine and also to take a look at Jupiter.

I then plugged the serial cable into the handset, attached a USB to serial cable, and started up Stellarium. Then in stellarium I connected to the scope and then selected vega and did an Alt-1 to slew the cope to vega. The mount sprung into action and the reticule in Stellarium moved towards vega, but then stopped near by.

I did this for several targets, Stellarium moved the scope fine, but always stops short of the targer, on occasions by quite a big margin of error.

Is there a problem with what I am doing or am I missing something that I am likely to slap myself for later :)

Any thoughts on this one?

regards

David

I use carte du ciel to control my mount, but I would have thought the principle is the same as stellarium.

I wouldn't do a 3-star alignment THEN connect to Stellarium. Rather, I would do all the alignment and synchronisation through the software, not the handset. If you are controlling the mount via the laptop and EQMOD you don't need the handset alignment.

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments.

My mount is polar aligned and I believe I have all my coordinates entered correctly, but will double check.

How do you do a star align with stellarium, I have not seen this feature in the software?

Regards

David

For me it was straightforward, other than it never aligns on the star correctly.

I have the skywatcher HEQ5 synscan. To control using stellarium I plug the serial cable into the handset controller, then using a serial to USB cable, I connect to the laptop. Then it was a case of picking synscan in the telescope control menu.

Regards

David

I then plugged the serial cable into the handset, attached a USB to serial cable, and started up Stellarium. Then in stellarium I connected to the scope and then selected vega and did an Alt-1 to slew the cope to vega. The mount sprung into action and the reticule in Stellarium moved towards vega, but then stopped near by.

The key shortcut for "move telescope 1 to selected object" is Ctrl+1 (or Cmd+1 on Macs). Alt+1 will move the telescope to the current center of the screen. :)

If this doesn't help, please try the following:

Make sure you use the latest version of Stellarium, 0.10.6. In the "Telescope Properties" window, under "Coordinate system:" select Equinox of the date (JNow). Try again slewing to objects with Ctrl+1 and see if there is any difference.

The key shortcut for "move telescope 1 to selected object" is Ctrl+1 (or Cmd+1 on Macs). Alt+1 will move the telescope to the current center of the screen. :)

If this doesn't help, please try the following:

Make sure you use the latest version of Stellarium, 0.10.6. In the "Telescope Properties" window, under "Coordinate system:" select Equinox of the date (JNow). Try again slewing to objects with Ctrl+1 and see if there is any difference.

Doh. It is always the simple things, thank you.

For some reason I had it in my mind that it was Alt. I will give it another go when the next clear night happens.

regards

David

Archived