SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Small confession

Hi all, just to put some context around my first thread I need to confess. My wife and I bought my daughter a skywatcher telescope for one of her Christmas presents and I've been taking it over most nights! I've always had an interest in everything out there (space, universe etc etc) but never had the time to purchase my own telecope and follow my curiosity. Tonight, whilst my daughter was in doors watching a little tv (she does have a big interest in astromony that we have always encouraged), I grabbed the telescope and focused on the moon before looking at Jupiter and its four moons (yes I saw them and I was amazed!!!!).

Now it may not be the most expensive or the best beginners scope but I was impressed and can't wait for tomorrow night! I'm hooked and will no doubt be buying the next scope within the next six months (well I do play cricket, badminton and scuba dive, so not much money left for other hobbies!). So confession over but just to say I'm not all bad............... I did call my daughter out to show her the wonder of the night sky!

Hi all, just to put some context around my first thread I need to confess. My wife and I bought my daughter a skywatcher telescope for one of her Christmas presents and I've been taking it over most nights! I've always had an interest in everything out there (space, universe etc etc) but never had the time to purchase my own telecope and follow my curiosity. Tonight, whilst my daughter was in doors watching a little tv (she does have a big interest in astromony that we have always encouraged), I grabbed the telescope and focused on the moon before looking at Jupiter and its four moons (yes I saw them and I was amazed!!!!).

Now it may not be the most expensive or the best beginners scope but I was impressed and can't wait for tomorrow night! I'm hooked and will no doubt be buying the next scope within the next six months (well I do play cricket, badminton and scuba dive, so not much money left for other hobbies!). So confession over but just to say I'm not all bad............... I did call my daughter out to show her the wonder of the night sky!

i had the same reaction when i saw jupiter and his moons,now im hooked and wanting bigger,in astronomy size does matter,and we only have a budget telescope but its capabilities are breath taking,so i can relate to how youve got the bug,

Isn't it funny how you can get so hooked. Last night I made a point to work out where the ISS would be and I actually saw it.

I know in the grand scheme of things the ISS is the very beginning but geez I got a real buzz from it.

Happy gazing.

For your penance you should now go out and buy her a really good quality scope and quality eyepieces, and only ever use the scope you pinched from your own kid.

If you ask nicely she might let you look through it now and again. Only then can you be absolved lol.

Welcome to SGL :)

Isn't it funny how you can get so hooked. Last night I made a point to work out where the ISS would be and I actually saw it.

I know in the grand scheme of things the ISS is the very beginning but geez I got a real buzz from it.

Happy gazing.

I watched the ISS last night too, it's always an incredible sight and just amazing to see what we have achieved. I have a very interesting pass tonight which is just above the Moon and Jupiter. Hoping to get a nice picture.

http://www.heavens-above.com/passgif.exe?T=0&FOV=20&RA=-5.15928641623533&Dec=3.21184031488806E-02&RAInc=10&DecInc=2&TimeInc=10&SatName=ISS&Width=500&Height=500&STime=40552.7333532542&Lat=52.5780555555556&Lng=-1.12833333333333&Line1=1+25544U+98067A+++11008.90372045++.00013454++00000-0++10245-3+0++6056&Line2=2+25544+051.6460+257.4707+0005304+120.3371+326.5746+15.72609595695838

It will be a different path depending on where you are; you can get charts from Heavens-Above Home Page

Also, if you're on twitter you can get alerts of when to see the ISS from Twisst - tweeting ISS passes near you | Twisst

Archived