Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Run away celestron CGE mount

tim r

Hi has anybody had this problem with their CGE mount this occurs mostly when its very cold if I brush against my DEC lead the mount moves spoiling the alignment I was going to get it ungraded but due to difficulties out on my control will have to put on hold I don't know if there are any better leads on the market which make better contact would love to hear from anyone who solved this niggley problem to what otherwise is a great mount thanks..

I've heard of this problem before, and it is down to the very low quality RA and DEC CAT5 cables supplied with the mount.

When I had a CGE, I threw the supplied cables away and had new ones made which had a bit more length and used CAT7 cable and gold plated CAT5 connectors.

I can't remember where I got them, but found a place to make them very quickly by searching on the web.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks I'll search the web and see what I can find I do intend to get Alan to do a full upgrade when i'm back on a level playing field hoping to find something as a stop gap I hate getting it aligned only the move the cable and have to start again.

I also had the runaway problem with my CGE. The mount worked fine for the first year when it was new, but then the problems started and it became more and more frequent.

I tried changing to other cables, but that didn't help. After some searching I found a recommendation that Gary Bennet at the CGE's yahoo forum sold a complete kit for replacement of the connectors. It came with a very good step-by-step instruction, and I think the procedure is even simpler today.

Anyway, I haven't had the problem since then so even if it is a little costly, I can really recommend his kit.

/Lars

I now have Gary's cable replacement kit (installed > 6 months ago) & absol. no problems... Highly recommended - great piece of mind.

The problem with finding replacement CAT5 cables is that they MUST be Shielded - the shield carries one of the signals - madness!

(Rob, can't remember how long I've had the mount, but got it just after you if I remember right ?)

Phil

Lots to look into, has anyone fitted the upgrade kit I'm a bit nervous at the drilling part as I tend to jump in feet first (like most men without reading instructions ). so if anyone has fitted was it easy enough thanks for all your feedback Tim..

Hi Tim,

I feel your pain and I can help. I see that several folks have already commenented abount my cable replacement solution. There are other conditions that could also be at play but from your desciption you have a classic case of the dreaded "cable problem". The cables themselves are not the problem. It's those stupid RJ45 "phone plugs". Replacing the cables with another brand of sheilded CAT5E cables doesn't offer a real solution because it's still the same "phone plug".

If you have some soldering skills I have a DIY solution with step-by-step instructions. If not, I make kits that are really easy to install (60-90 minutes start-to-finish) and there is a "drill-less" option that does not require any holes to be drilled.

Just as a FYI, I am not a business. Just another CGE owner who had the same problem and devised a solution that makes the problem go away permanenly.

Contact me off-group and I will give you some details.

Archived