NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filters for imaging

Hola! I'm getting a webcam and adaptor etc, going to start looking at imaging when the skies clear. I was wondering what are the benefits of filters and whatnot? Would they help when imaging? Reason I ask is when I held my camera to the lens to take a picture of Jupiter it just came out as a massive white star rather than the marble coloured object I could see when just looking through the scope. Is that because of too much light and would a filter sort that out?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, you can take good images of Jupiter with a webcam and no filter, but you will need to adjust the gain setting on your webcam if it has one otherwise it will come out overexposed as you seem to have found out.

What's the gain setting then? Sorry but i'm a total amateur on everything.

Great choice. This camera is popular with imagers. The gain setting is probably better explained by someone more experienced than myself. I just know that it adjusts the setting for capturing bright objects or dim objects.

Great choice. This camera is popular with imagers. The gain setting is probably better explained by someone more experienced than myself. I just know that it adjusts the setting for capturing bright objects or dim objects.

Excellent, I was worried you were going to say it was the wrong one. Was recommended by another one of you fellas in a different thread, i've also bought the adaptor. I'm hoping it'll arrive at the same time as my planisphere and the skies will be clear.

An IR blocking filter should be just about all you'll need for planetary imaging. It quite simply screws into the end of the webcam adapter.

Although, on saying that I've had some good imaging results of Jupiter without the filter!

So i've got the cam, now what? I've plugged it in to the laptop but it won't install Keeps talking about needing a driver but then says it can't find one to install. This is my first stumbling block, i'm sure there will be many others.

So i've got the cam, now what? I've plugged it in to the laptop but it won't install Keeps talking about needing a driver but then says it can't find one to install. This is my first stumbling block, i'm sure there will be many others.

Following the link you posted the drivers are downloaded from same site, just above the option to order the adaptor, i think!

Do yo or anyone know if the logiteck quickcam pro 4000 is any good, as i got an old one, or should i follow your advise, given, and get philips 880

Cheers

Shaun

Following the link you posted the drivers are downloaded from same site, just above the option to order the adaptor, i think!

Do yo or anyone know if the logiteck quickcam pro 4000 is any good, as i got an old one, or should i follow your advise, given, and get philips 880

Cheers

Shaun

Did that earlier, still doesn't work.

Lol, reading the link below also from morgans, it says instal using windows XP, i wonder if it only works with XP, maybe also vista....the cam i have dont work with Windows 7, let me know if you resolve it as i will then buy one..lol...do you know what they mean by flashed!!! Shaun

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/113699-philips-spc880nc-now.html

Looking at Philips website they have software and drivers for all windows, XP vista & etc....but they say on Morgans & SGL the unit needs to be flashed first, which i dont know what this refers to.

Shaun

I have no idea what flashed means, no idea at all. I have installed everything from Morgans and everything linked to on here. Still not working. I'm just putting on my CAT boots and am about to stamp all over the cam.

I think, the term Flash, is the big reason maybe, as it does state everywhere it needs to be flashed first.

So maybe a different thread is required...lol..there is always something, if it isnt the weather.

Mind your boots

Shaun

Archived