Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS Colour loss issue

Hi. I have been using Deep Sky Stacker to process images. I took images of the Orion Nebula last night, in RAW format on my Canon 50D through a Nexstar 5SE. On the camera they look great and the coulr of the nebulosity is really ghood. Processed in DSS the colour disappears and I have no idea why. Not had this problem before. Can anyone please help me with where I am going worng - maybe there is a setting in DSS that I don't know about. Thanks

Thanks. Have tried that with little success... Have just tried stacking some previous images of the Dumbell nebula that worked successfully before but this time have lost all colour. There has to be a setting somewhere that I've changed...

Hi there - I had this problem too... Fine to begin with and nice star colours achievable and then... grey.

I struggled for ages playing with settings, but then had to switch laptops which forced a reinstall and the default install settings brought the colour back again.

I know it's not an ideal solution (as it would be nice to know what setting it is that causes/caused the problem), but it did work for me (and if I was more clever, I could have kept a note on what settings I change and what then causes it to go back to grey again when it does...)

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same problem too, also tried with a fresh install of newest DSS, and on 2 PCs, still just gray. colour in raw and jpg files are perfect.

It's like, 1 raw frame is 10x better colour and quality then 10 frames stacked in DSS...

Hope someone have a solution for this? saturation in PS was no success for me neither. Colours just ended up very fake looking, and nothing like the original raw file.

DSS handles raw frames as 16 bit grey... if you want to see the colour on screen after stacking in DSS, go to the saturation tab and move the slider to between 20 and 25%. When you save the image from DSS, if you select apply adjustments, what you see on screen is what is saved to the tif, so if you haven't moved that saturation slider, it'll be a pretty grey image. If you embed adjustments, then you have to work more on the data in PS, but you have a lot more control over the results, but all the colour data is in the file.

Archived