Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another wannabe astrophotographer...

Hey guys,

I've been pondering over this for a while, but I've finally decided to go ahead and get a telescope. I've been thinking of the Sky Watcher Explorer 200p on an EQ5 mount, as I've read some good things around here about it.

My main interest is to get into imaging DSOs so I've also been thinking of getting the Cannon 1000d. Will the EQ5 mount that comes with the 200p be sturdy enough for it?

When it comes to tracking would the RA motor for the EQ5 mount work okay for my needs, or would a more sophisticated setup including a guide camera be needed?

Maybe its wishful thinking but If I can some day capture images anything near to these with my equipment, I will be a very happy man indeed!

Orion | Flickr - Photo Sharing

My total budget for now is around £700, so if anyone has any other suggestions or advice that would be great.

Thanks,

Bob.

Why not consider an Astrotrac with a simple camera+lens loaded on it. You can then upgrade to a small refractor, then get into autoguiding with a separate refractor, etc. You'd only be missing out on the planets.

I would start with a small refractor like this one (£250) mounted on an EQ5 Pro GOTO (£450). You will need to spend around £200 for a 1000D so you'll be about £200 over budget but this will give you good results straight away as the small fast refractor will be easy to balance and you will not have a larger newtonian's susceptibility to wind or collimation issues. If you want to autoguide to get longer exposures you could go the budget route (Morgans SPC880 for £10ish) or get a QHY5 or Synguider which are more expensive.

As AdamsP123 says above, get the Making Every Photon Count book first, it will help you make your own informed choice.

I hate to sound negative but I would read up first. Astroimaging is a real struggle and theres no shortage of people who leave this hobby because of it.

Years ago it was expensive and complicatec....it still is. If thats what you want then go for it but I would absolutely read up and ask a lot of questions before spending a cent.

The imaging forums on here wil be a good place go start as will the book mentioned above.

Thank you for your replies.

I will definitely check out that book as I've seen it recommended quite a few times around here already.

Getting a lighter refractor is quite a good idea, but I am still leaning towards that 200p Newtonian. I could possibly get the 200p with the standard HEQ5 mount instead, but its pushing my budget a bit, unless I could find a second hand one.

One idea I have had though is what about getting a lighter camera and using the EQ5 mount, something like the Sony NEX 3 mirrorless camera. Has anyone ever used this?

If you want to image DSOs your list of desirables in a camera should include:

1 ability to swap the lens for a T-adaptor for prime focus imaging using a telescope

2 ability to set the exposure beyond 30secs using bulb mode

3 ability to output RAW files for processing

4 has low noise on long exposures at high iso settings

5 can be remote controlled from a pc or other device - desirable to automate and reduce vibrations to the camera during imaging.

6 is sensitive to Ha

I don't know about whether #4 and #6 apply to the NEX3 but the others do so it could be pretty good but its expensive. You could consider whether a 2nd hand 1000D for £200 which you could maybe modify yourself would be better. Then you would have more to spend on the mount which is the more important element. From a solid mount comes good tracking which is the most important thing in DSO imaging as it enables longer exposures.

You probably also ought to compare images taken with modded and unmodded cameras to see the difference. There are lots of threads about whether or not to mod your camera on here and some have comparisons of the same targets from both.

Some people are unhappy about 2nd hand gear and some are not happy about modifying cameras so you need to think about whether these are options for you or not.

Okay well I think the 200p, HEQ5 mount, and the 1000d, would be my preferred set up. However brand new its about £350 over my budget of £700, so definitely if I could buy some of it second hand that would be ideal.

How do I unlock the 'for sale' section on the forum?

Are you sure you think that the 200P is a good place to start with for imaging? Remember, you don't need a huge aperture for photography but you do need a mount that's not strained by the optics and optics that deliver a "flat" and colour-free field (so that stars are round and tight edge-to-edge on your sensor). Most people, I think, start with a small APO refractor, like an 80mm or so.

themos, I've just been looking at the pictures you've taken with a 4.5" newt and they're pretty impressive.

My girlfriend bought me a SW 1145p for christmas, and up until now I've been thinking of changing it because of my desire to start imaging. However from looking at your pics I'm now thinking maybe I could just keep it, sell the EQ1 mount (not sure who'd want to buy it though), buy a HEQ5, and then I should have more left over to get a 1000d. Then later on when the need arises I could upgrade to the 200p. :)

Here's what I did when I started with the 4.5"+EQ1:

First year: buy a webcam and adaptors, barlows, solar filter and concentrate on Moon, Sun and planets. Also play with tripod + compact camera, time lapse photography, piggy-back, afocal (point camera at eyepiece)

Second year: bought a 12" Dob and a DSLR. Try the DSLR on the EQ1, sub-minute exposures, 50-135mm lens. Also, Dob+DSLR+Moon.

Third year: bought an EQ6 and 300mm lens. experiment with autoguiding. 3 minute exposures. Ready for the next stage, a small APO.

Remember, the weather does not give you many opportunities to try this gear. I find I forget half the things I learned from one session to the next. Don't rush into it.

Again, thanks for all the replies I'm starting to slowly get my head around all of this.

themos, You attached a DSLR to a scope on an EQ1 mount? I didn't think there was any chance that would work. What length exposures were you getting? Also have you got any pics using the EQ1 by any chance?

Bob

Similar views to Themos really...

My experience goes like this;

2007 I bought an HEQ5 Pro with a 100mm f9 SW refractor and almost immediately plugged a Canon 400d into it ..and managed about 90 second unguided exposures which I was very chuffed with.

2008 - very little use of the kiit because of work commitments but managed to use the 100mm as a guide scope with an eBay Phillips webcam with the Canon piggybacked on the scope for imaging

2009 - invested in a William Optic Zs70 and tandem bar to guide the 100mm using the zs70 as a guide scope. Soon found that the kit worked much better using the 100mm as a guide scope and the WO as an imager with the Canon. Acheived 20 minute guided exposures. Very chuffed now!

2010 - started to use the 100mm and webcam for lunar mosiacs and invested in a better QHY5v camera. Bought a second hand SW 200P and found that the combination of 200p, zs70, Canon and guide camera were at the limits of the HEQ5 Pro. Sold HEQ5 Pro and invested in an NEQ6 Pro.

Lessons? Do as Mel has suggested and read, read, read, read. Buy the best mount you can afford....and if I had my time again I'd start off with a short focal length refractor - then, if you upgrade to a bigger scope later - you've still got a guide scope. Cameras? - try a webcam first on the moon and planets then you've got a basic guide cam (which worked well for me) when you move up.

In summary - it's a heck of a learning curve - read loads - invest in a good mount first - then one step at a time.

Hope this helps

Steve

Okay thanks for the replies again, some really useful information there.

Right now I'm thinking of getting the HEQ5 syntrek, as it can take quite a big load, and there is a lot of room for upgrades. However I'd probably want a cheaper scope, so do I keep my SW 1145p and use that, or is there anything better out there for around £100 that would be half decent for imaging DSO's?

Once that's sorted its just a case of finding a camera as cheap as possible really. I hope! haha.

You can image with a 200P or with a small refractor. This quickly becomes contentious but I would go for the small refractor.

The 200P will win on faster focal ratio and be much better visually.

The small refractor will win on not overloading the mount, not needing collimation, on being easy to focus and on being easy to operate and balance.

If you are thinking the aperture is important, trust me, it just isn't.

If an invading enemy said to me, 'Tonight you will go out and take an excellent astrophoto or tomorrow we will shoot you,' I would use a small, fast refractor and nothing else. Not a 20 inch Hypergraph, not a Takahashi Mewlon, not anything but a small fast refractor. It is all about things going wrong, this game...

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Archived