Celestron NexStar 4SE

Hi guys, I have been advised by one dealer that this might be the equipment for me. Has anyone got one and if so are you happy with it or wished you had bought something else ?

Just abit of Lunar and star photography , needs to be easliy set up and relativley easy to use. Johnathon Ross made out his was very complicated ?

This is a popular scope and a lot of people have one or similar type on this site. The main thing is it helps to know your way around the night sky a bit - irrespective of what telescope you have - good advice that Mr Ross could heed!

Good luck, andrew

It really depends what your expecting in terms of Star photography really...

The 4SE is in effect a relatively long focal length (1350mm) Slow (f/13) telephoto lens... on a half decent alt/az tracking mount...

I started out by buying a Meade ETX 105 which is a very similar "discontinued" scope several years ago..

These are very portable, easy to setup (provided you read and follow the manual) but not convinced they are suited for "star photogrpahy" but better for lunar and planetary with a webcam...

Billy.,..

Ok..............not deep space photography (forget stars) just lunar photographs will surfice this year.

What I really would like to know is it a good solid reliable scope ?

It also depends on how grab and go you want it to be ... and if you are prepared to learn a bit more about the sky (says a man who has always used goto scopes) ...

The 4SE (and generally all other goto scopes) lists thousands of objects that you wont be able to "see" through the scope...

Forget any pics you see on the box...

Billy...

its a fine scope for looking at moon and planets. its portable, the software is good, but its not up to seeing deep space objects very well unless you take it to a very dark site. you'll see something. but unless you really need it to be portable in 6 months you'll be wishing you got something bigger. in answer to your question is it a solid, reliable scope, the answer is yes. but in my opinion its a niche instrument. if you want something small and easy to use its very good but if you want to look a little further you need something a little bigger or a refractor of the same size

As far as imaging goes I would forget it for now, you'll find just observing is a challenge to star with. Don't assume telescopes will be easy in the way a digital camera might be. You will have a lot if frustration initially with almost anything you buy.

I' d say forget photography to start with. If that's the way you want to go be prepared to invest a lot if cash and time and begorebyou even start read 'making every photon count' which will give you the basics and probably save you time and money in the long run.

Nextar4se ......I had one as my grab and go scope. It's a good small telescope, the mount is more solid than most small scopes and it's relatively easy to use.

It's bes suited to the moon and planets but it's not bad on the brigghter deep space objects like M31 andromeda and M45 Orion nebula.

I think I got a years use out of the ETX105 before aperture fever and its usuitabilty for DSLR astrohopgraphy got to me...coupled with the arrival of some totally unexpected wonga....

Since then the "105" has been out on year long loans to two different people to get them started...

I found Skyalign (Celestron) far easier to use and more reliable than meades offerign especailly when you starting out as you dont even have to know what 3 objects your using for the alignment...

The SE mount will allow you to mount other OTA's as well which is another "bonus"

Billy...

The 4 SE is a great grab and go scope and will be ok for an intruduction to Webcam imaging and DSLR single photos of the moon.

As for using it for DSO or stars it will not be the best choice, as the F/Ratio is slow.

I would recomend getting a skywatcher 127 Mak as its better value and bigger.

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=skywatcher_skymax_127_az_goto

The Mak127 is a bit bulky for the Skywatcher AZ and can cause frustration.. it did with me. The 127 has great optics but then all maks this size are great. The skywatcher 102 would be a better choice on the mount. That or the 127 on a eq3-2(no goto). The 4 se seems like a cracking scope. i have its bigger brother in the 6se and love it. the skyalign is very clever and anyone can do it. The meade LNT is also very simple for alignment.

Having owned several maks and can recommend the any skywatcher, Meade or Celestron mak. they will all perform well, its just down to which mount and alignment you prefer.

Archived