Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

servicing your scope

Nexus 6

I can't help but think, as my scope is an assembage of mechanical and electronic parts connected to a tube and mirror, that it would be wise to service what I could to maintain its performance and longevity. I mean we all do it for a boiler, and look how much it costs if we don't.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I can't imagine it breaking down, I think I should buy a new one so at least I have a reserve :eek:

Alan

Hi Alan. I think I would just keep the scope clean, optics, electrical contacts

etc. Your boiler is in constant use, so will need a service to maintain safety

and efficiency, but your scope is used relatively infrequently (if at all, given

the weather lately !)

You could give it a stroke, to let it know you still love it !!

Regards, Ed.

Hi ed thanks for the reply, I think I got that comparisson with the boiler completely wrong :eek:, the scope has probably been used maybe 20 times since I purchased it so has hardly been over used. I was thinking more in the long term say 3-4 years when I guess some of the mechanical parts will need a check no doubt.

Alan

You could give it a stroke, to let it know you still love it !!
prefer to talk to it as I do with my plants, it has'nt grown at all though :)

Your scope is an SCT design which means its a closed system inside so it should with careful handling never get the mirrors dirty. There are few other moving parts in the scope apart from the focusing mechanism and the lubricants on that will outlive you.

Like any telescope it of that design it should hold collimation extremely well and so long as the scope isnt given a large whack theres not much ro be gained in collimating for the sake of it.

The mount for those scopes is pretty hairy stuff to take apart, i took one look in a Nexstar and decidedl to leave well alone. Unlike EQ mounts which can be tuned, lubed etc to imrpve performance and longevity I would think it inadvisable to take the mount on your scope to bits. Personally I wold leave it alone until something breaks or stops working, taking it to bits may be a quick route to spending money if someone else has to fix it :eek:

I tuned the Azm drive on my CPC800 (which is effectively the RA axis as its on a wedge) ... not really for the faint hearted though... At one point it was left "battery" powered rotating for the best part of two weeks...

If the CPC is used Alt/Azm theres not much need to do anything .. if its used "EQ" and loaded up with guide-scopes and other kit then the "plastic" Azm bearings are the weakest link...

Over zealous use of threadlock during manufacture has so far scuppered my attempts to work on the Alt axis as I cant get the friction plate off... really need to get some solvent to work on it...

Billy...

Archived