dSLR lenses

Hi.

Yes, it's me again! :)

Can anyone recommend any good lenses for an SLR camera (apart from the 'nifty fifty' as I already know about this lens). I would like a semi-good lens with a reasonable zoom for landscape / wildlife / motion photography.

I understand the basics, but I've no idea what I need or what is good and bad at my entry into the world of dSLR photography. :eek:

Thanks.

Richard. ;)

What make of camera do you have Richard.

There is a pretty good review of lenses from the main players by an American chap called Fred Miranda. Site is FM Reviews - But this will assume prior knowledge of what focal lengths you wish to use.

I use a Canon camera and do landscape, cityscape, wedding, portrait, aviation and macro - to name a few :) and I would say the most used lens I have is the 17-40 by far. My other lenses are 24-70, a 70-200 and finally a 100mm macro lens. I find this is enough to cover me on all the above and I am rarely left wanting. A 400mm would be sweet but it is a lot of weight to be carrying around for very few shots.

Understanding what it is you photograph most is the biggest driver and always get the best lens you can afford. If that means only getting one then so be it.

If I can be of any further help just drop me a line :eek:

Steve

I just picked up a Canon EOS EF AF 75-300mm as a second lens off of ebay for £60ish, no idea how good it will be until it arrives though, but I figure it should give a reasonable improvement on the 50mm. I could post comparison pics if you like when it gets here.

I'm not at all impressed with the EF 75-300 on the 500D... way to soft...

My walkround lens is a Sigma DG 28-300 ok onthe 1000D but the increased resoulution onthe 500D starts to show up its short comings...

If its Canon then You can always got to "L" - shouldnt have too many complaints then - apart from the bank manager...

Billy...

Hi Richard,

what camera and budget?

Unfortunately, camera lens quality seems to follow an exponential increase in cost.

For landscape, it may be worth looking at some older, possibly manual focus lenses, as autofocus speed is less important. Also, any prime lens is usually superb.

For my Nikon, I use...

a Sigma 20-40 f2.8, which I really like,

a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (superb lens),

a Nikon 24-120 (I would prefer a faster aperture, but the VR is great, and it's nice and sharp in the middle f's)

A Nikon nifty fifty, f1.8 (lurrrvly sharp lens)

A Nikon 105 f2.8 Macro (manual focus) and 80mm f2.8 Macro (very nice, sharp lenses)

There's also some older kit lenses in the bag, which are OK, but the are slightly softer focusing, less contrast and slower aperture than the others.

Unfortunately, it's as much a money pit as 'scopes...

I have a Pentax K20D that came with a two lens kit comprising 18-55mm & 55-200mm zoom lenses to which I have added a Sigma 28-300mm zoom macro lens. I find that have the Sigma attached to the camera most of the time because it is so versatile.

However, I recently photographed a civil wedding ceremony at a local hotel (my first since I decided to got back to semi pro photography after many years and my first using digital - I previously used film) and found that I only used the 18-55 zoom with excellent results. I also won a third place and received a highly commended in the landscape category of a national photo comp using this lens.

Brinders

I'm not at all impressed with the EF 75-300 on the 500D... way to soft...

I had read that in some reviews before I placed a bid, but they were also mixed good and bad reviews with the general sentiment it wasn't all that bad for a amature/beginner which is where I'm coming from. I mainly want something to let me get close in to some of the wildlife that visits my yard and take it fom there, atm the only way I have is the zoom on my video camera.

Edit: Pibbles...£60 seems a cracking price.

I thought so, it was the deciding factor on whether or not to bid on it. Honestly didn't think the bid would hold out.

What camera are we taliking about?

The 50mm lens was a standard on 35mm film SLR's, they are not standard on DSLR's owing to the difference in sensor size compared to 35mm film.

So knowing about the "nifty fifty" doesn't exactly imply DSLR. Cannot recall a DSLR that didn't come with something like an 18-70 zoom.

A prime 50mm lens on a DSLR gives a different image/picture to a prime 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

I had read that in some reviews before I placed a bid, but they were also mixed good and bad reviews with the general sentiment it wasn't all that bad for a amature/beginner which is where I'm coming from. I mainly want something to let me get close in to some of the wildlife that visits my yard and take it fom there, atm the only way I have is the zoom on my video camera.

I thought so, it was the deciding factor on whether or not to bid on it. Honestly didn't think the bid would hold out.

Its definitely worth £60... and as you said will give you an useful increase in "reach"... I tend not to spend much on lenses for the Canons as they normally live on the back of scopes... I sometimes carry one round as a spare and have tried a bit of "video" with the 500D...

I'm spoilt by the AF-S 70-300 VR II I use on the Nikon which is my first choice camera where I have the "system" investment...

Billy..

Sy, the new Canon 18-135 is not a bad attempt, it still suffers with softness and even at F8 the edge sharpness although not bad, could be better.

I started taking photography a little more seriously about 5 years ago now and with what I have invested on L glass I could have bought a very very nice scope+mount setup. However, I am now getting a lot more "keepers" on my trips out and when using a full frame 5DMKII you really do need good glass and with Canon, preferably of the L variety.

I currently have:

Canon 17-40 F4 L - absolutely fabulous lens - the F2.8 is twice the price and not worth the difference.

Canon 24-70 F2.8 L - ideal walkaround lens, sharp even at F2.8 but perhaps a little heavy for some ?

Canon 70-200 F2.8 USM II L - I paid less for the camera but cropping in to a kingfisher taken at a range of 50m I could still use the photo it was that sharp, an incredible lens.

Canon 100mm F2.8 IS macro - outstanding macro lens with images so sharp you can count the individual hairs on a caterpillars back. The Image Stabilisation actually works in two planes. Amazing !

Budget wise I have used and passed the following on to my daughter who uses a Canon 40D.

Canon 28-105 F3.5-F5.6 - brilliant walkabout lens and great results. Old but gold !

Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM macro - slight backfocus issue but images remain sharp above F5.6

Tamron 180mm F3.5 macro - a much underrated macro lens and even suprised aviation buffs with the results at airshows "but it is a macro lens they cry!" :eek:

It all boils down to budget, what you are going to use it for and how large you are going to print them. A friend of mine also uses the Canon 24-70 L and has several pictures on advertising billboards around various streets in Leeds. Using full frame and to a certain extent high megapixel cameras, you really need to couple them to good glass to get the most out of them. Think scopes and eyepieces !

Steve

Using full frame and to a certain extent high megapixel cameras, you really need to couple them to good glass to get the most out of them. Think scopes and eyepieces !

Steve

This also shows up between the 1000D (10.1 MP) and 500D (15.1 MP) lenses that were acceptable on the 1000D are soft on the 500D...

Billy...

Totally. Does it have IS?

Sy, the new Canon 18-135 is not a bad attempt, it still suffers with softness and even at F8 the edge sharpness although not bad, could be better.

Thanks, Steve. I'm not looking to spend a great deal as it's a slippy slope. Hmmm...softness is not ideal.

Sorry to distract the original thread topic :eek:

What camera are we taliking about?

The 50mm lens was a standard on 35mm film SLR's, they are not standard on DSLR's owing to the difference in sensor size compared to 35mm film.

So knowing about the "nifty fifty" doesn't exactly imply DSLR. Cannot recall a DSLR that didn't come with something like an 18-70 zoom.

A prime 50mm lens on a DSLR gives a different image/picture to a prime 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

Unless the DSLR uses a full frame sensor...

Unfortunately no.

Looking at new ones there is a large jump in price between IS an non IS.

Thanks, fella :eek: I actually went off and researched it. My eyes have wondered off to the 55-250 as it's a good price even new and has IS. But I'm not looking to go mad on lenses.

Agree with you too, Billy. Might have my hands on a tri with joystick grip soon. Was for the bins but the camera can share :)

Personally I think the zooms that cover a large range are too much of a compromise on quality. Something like 3 : 1 zoom ratio is ok but when you get upto 5:1 or even 10:1 then imo I think the manufacturers are just filling a hole in the marketplace for people that just want one "do it all" lens.

Even the 100-400L lens is ok rather than excellent.

Sorry everyone, I have a Canon 1000d with the standard 18-55mm lens kit.

Not sure what my budget is to be honest, but no way can I afford anything in the region on £1k+!! lol

Regards

Hi Richard,

what camera and budget?

Unfortunately, camera lens quality seems to follow an exponential increase in cost.

For landscape, it may be worth looking at some older, possibly manual focus lenses, as autofocus speed is less important. Also, any prime lens is usually superb.

For my Nikon, I use...

a Sigma 20-40 f2.8, which I really like,

a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (superb lens),

a Nikon 24-120 (I would prefer a faster aperture, but the VR is great, and it's nice and sharp in the middle f's)

A Nikon nifty fifty, f1.8 (lurrrvly sharp lens)

A Nikon 105 f2.8 Macro (manual focus) and 80mm f2.8 Macro (very nice, sharp lenses)

There's also some older kit lenses in the bag, which are OK, but the are slightly softer focusing, less contrast and slower aperture than the others.

Unfortunately, it's as much a money pit as 'scopes...

I got a Tamron AF70-300 f4-5.6DI with my Canon 1000d with kit IS lens and it seems quite good. Reputedly soft round the edges at wide, long telephoto but they are on offer for £99 and seem a very good for a carry round general lens and has usefull Macro functionality.

Would like comments from those who have used this lens....

Archived