what type of scope give views like this?

these are the kind of views i would really like to achieve, whats considered the best all round scope for planets, moon, galaxies

for big views like this?

i think id rather go for manual rather than the goto motorized type, budget of £1200 - £1500 excluding accersories.

http://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/imaging-planetary/45959d1289558931t-couple-belated-jupiters-jup_rgb_q0000_11_2010_2009542097finprocdfltin12150-200-astrimwebdarker.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7346/processamentov121.jpg

thanks in advance

Dave

Assuming you mean visual, rather than imaging, I don't think any amateur scope will show as much detail on Jupiter as is in that picture, at least not under UK skies.

I've seen a view similar to the 2nd picture through a 20" dobsonian scope at a dark sky sight.

If you mean imaging to that standard then I believe it's as much down to technique, patience and skill as it is to instrumentation. But I'm not an imager myself.

None of them really Dave I'm sorry to say. You'll get reasonable clarity on Jupiter and see the banding, grs, and transit shadows. The only colour you'll get however is on planets and some double stars. But galaxies and nebulas are all in shades of black, white, and grey.

The photos of dso's are taken with long exposures through filters and then tweaked in software like photoshop to strengthen the colour elements. Unfortunately the eye isn't able to see colours at those distances and levels of light whereas a camera can gather the light over a longer time than the eye. And nebulae emit light at wavelengths that are imperceptible to the human eye.

Hope that helps :(

ahh right, so these images are from imaging scopes? sorry im totally new to this and thought that these pics were what people are seeing through there scopes?

is this not the case? if not than whats the most i can expect to see?

any examples would be appreciated.

Dave

All the things refered to as DSO's, galaxies and nebula, will be a faint grey smudge. A common term for them is "faint fuzzies".

One exception is I believe the Orion Nebula which if you have a big enough scope may show a green tinge. Big enough being in the 16" and above size.

Somewhere sure I have read of someone with a 16" scope saying they could just detect colour in Orion. May have been bigger as in 20" or 22". (Don't ask the cost of one this size)

A club I visit has a 8" scope, SCT, and I think that it just shows some colour to Jupiter's banding. The 14" SCT I am pretty sure will do so. When conditions are good enough.

As to size, well actually all seem small. The planets are not really big and are a really long way off, so small. Also consider that if you magnify them a lot, the image quality goes down and the brightness of the image is less, so less chance of detecting colour in what you look at.

This can be a frustrating hobby and when you see images produced by Hubble on the side of a box you have to realise that NASA have spent billions on it. A simple scope that we mere mortals use does not exactly compare.

You can take photo's through most scopes - but it's the tracking and guiding that are important, and of course the camera chip size and colour capabilites.

Looking at sketches is a great idea. Galaxies will mostly be fuzzy patches, globular clusters are nice especially if you can resolve stars as far as the core, open clusters will glitter like diamonds in the sky, and nebulas will show shape and size. Half the challenge is finding objects - some can be pretty elusive or only appear at certain times of the year :(

The only objects that you will likely see colour in through a moderately sized 'scope are planets of course, intensely coloured stars like Albireo and some planetary nebulae, the Blue Snowball is one example which exhibits a slight blue/green tinge through my 8" dob and can seen in relatively small apertures as it is quite bright at 9-10th magnitude.

It's not a matter of imaging scope or not imaging scope. It's simply that any image will be long exposure and allow you to see details that would not be visible to the eye. No telescope will provide you with views that look like a photograph. You should expect to see this sort of thing:

Messier Object Sketches - Belt of Venus

All DSOs will look monochrome. From super-dark skies with a large telecope you will see something that looks similar in form to the second photo; however those red HII regions won't look red and you won't see those changing colour shade as you move towards the core.

These objects are so faint that we're stuck with rod-only vision to see them. Rods have only one photopigment so we don't see colour. At these low light levels breaking down the information into separate colour channels using different photopigments (as we do for daylight vision) would create signals that are too noisy to be useful.

great advice guys, i think what i really need to do is try and get to an astro club and maybe get a look thru a scope (or a few)of someone with a bit of knowledge, so i can see what i can expect. what a great new hobby none the less. i see that there is a star camp in kielder forest twice a year, i think that would be a great weekend for me and my boy, its only an hour away so a chance to do some real viewing! anyone been to one of these meets before and how are they, i think it would be a great way to get some advice and get shown some great sights!

Hi Dave, excellent question you post. Visually at least, if you want to see them better then go for a big dob, looking at your budget you can buy a 14" one. Quality eyepices will work well for you as will filters for any nebulae, it is certainly a good idea to get a local society and try some of the kit they have.

Stroke of luck being so close to Kielder:rolleyes:

Alan

Joining an astro soc is a good idea, and Kielder is one of the most popular sites for star parties especially around the spring and autumn equinoxes. SGL-6 organised by the guys here is terrific, and Kelling Heath Norfolk another popular venue. All highly recommended :(

Dave, if you live in an area with low light pollution or can get to one by car you would still need at least a 12-14 inch to see spirality in some galaxies. You can get good detailed views of the planets in a 14 inch but the greater the aperture, the more fleeting will be that detail as more aperture picks up more atmospheric turbulence. (There are lots of other affecting factors too). It's difficult to suggest an ideal aperture for planets, it would help to try different ones for yourself. Personally I consider a good 8 inch to be best for planets but others might disagree.

again thanks for the advice, ive located a astro club not too far from me called nastro (northumberland astro). im gonna attend one of their meetings on the 7th jan. they are doing something along with the stargazing live so im gonna take my lad and make an evenging of it. they have an astortment of scope to try out so hopefully ill get some good advice and get a feel for what i can expect from different type scopes.

i really fancy this star camp held at kielder, although i can drive to kielder within an hour so i might pop the telescope and tent in the car and camp out there if the weather holds off. as i dont think i can wait until march!

Archived