NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Impromptu session 25/12/10

Dave S

Hi all

Sorry about the brevity and roughness of the report but it was a spur of the moment session with no means to record and limited kit.

During this evenings get together with family I popped out to get away from the madhouse for a moment. Stepping outside I immediately was presented with a lovely clear sky and what looked like good seeing. Not having any equipment except a pair of trusty Minolta 8x25's and the mk1 eyeball I still couldn't let the moment go to waste.

Equipment: as above.

Date: 25/12/10

Time 8:30 - 8:45

Air Temperature -4C

Seeing: Although apparently very good this seems to have been due to the brightness of the major features as appears to a non-night adjusted eye. After about 3 minutes it became apparent that there was LP from a mix of white and orange lights at E - SE and W. Looking more to the zenith revealed very faint haziness in the higher skies. There didn't appear to be the same haziness lower down and to the north so I suspect that there were ice paticles in the atmosphere which were reflecting and scattering town lights.

Observations: Starting with the obvious ones. M42 was very prominent even to the naked eye. Through the bins it was quite surprising. The sword revealed both elements of M42 with the trapezium blazing through although only the trio of the brightest stars were discernable although the nebula itself seemed white than the usual grey I've observed with these bins. The open cluster NGC1981 revealed about 6 bright stars with other slightly fainter stars appearing as the eyes adjusted to the dark.

Moving to Cassiopea/Perseus M31 was easy to find but only the central area was visible and quite dim to what I've seen it before (remember the icy haze in this area as mentioned). Trying my luck I looked to where the double cluster Ngc869 & Ngc884 should be. Observed a double fuzzy patch. I know i'm looking in the right place as it is so easy to locate this double cluster. I was surprised that I could only see two fuzzy patches but after a couple of minutes I began to see individual stars as my eyes adjusted to the dark. Really pushing it I looked toward M103. Several minutes of averted vision and I'm convinced I got it very faint and fuzzy, don't believe it was a trick of the eyes as I moved the field of view and repeated the sequence of averted vision observation with no fuzzy patches apparent. Back to M103. Yes definitely something so faint and definitely fuzzy. I'm sure I got it.

Unfortunately at this point the outside light comes on. All night vision gone. My absence has been noted. So it's end of session.

Nothing of huge value to report except that no matter how limited the equipment is, there's always something to see.

Merry Christmas all and a Happy New year.

Dave...

Hi Dave S,

Well done you for getting out there.

I, too, escaped outside yesterday!

Something to do with giving up on the TV remote and noise pollution. I had a look at about 7pm and found broken cloud. Half an hour later, it was clear so I put the newt out after a quick look with my bino's.

I went straight for the Pleiades with the newt and I'm still not tired of looking at that...

Then I did something of a next step for me and went off to the North into the milky way just enjoying what I could find in the 20mm ep. I think I found the Haiades but I'm not sure. Found Canopus (Auriga) I'm still learning the constellations! I think, oddly that I nailed the constellation Perseus down by eye and bins.

Using Stellarium, I think I found NGC1647 - an open cluster. There's a few over toward Gemini. Had a good look at Castor then wandered off and found Triangulum.

Back to M42, had a look at that and lastly went over to Jupiter.

I think that going on very recent experience that I need to know the sky better by eye if not bins. I expect to spend an hour or two to find one target such as a specific cluster...

Seems odd to go out on Christmas Day, but a tiny bit of space probably helps everyone...

Sounds like you had a good session there. getting to know your way around by bins or eye is a great way to speed up a more intense observing session as you can 'zoom' in quicker by knowing where the main features are. Useful when you have only short periods of visibility as we've had of late.

Keep up the good work.

Dave...

Nice report. I think we all have difficulty getting away from family and friends at this time of year to persue our hobby. Well done for managing to get a few moments which is more than i and probably many others have managed to acheive over xmas. Bonus that even though you were not using your normal kit you still managed to see something worthwhile.

Bonus that even though you were not using your normal kit you still managed to see something worthwhile.

Thanks oldfruit.

It's funny that it doesn't matter that most of these objects are easy with most scope, yet the excitement of spotting them with kit not really suited to this still amazes me. It seems to me that we doi it BECAUSE WE CAN.

This is what endears me to my fellow astronomers here on the forum. It's this can do attitude.

So keep up the good work.

Happy New Year.

Dave...

I thought about it but decided that might be pushing things a little far so went out on Boxing Day. You are right about the LP with snow. The orange and white lights are reflected up and it creates more LP.

Interesting choice M103..? I would have gone for many other clusters first. Is this one of your favorites. Its a nice trianlge of stars..

Mark

Archived