arrrrh help plz complete noob

hi guys merry xmas to you all i got a telescope for xmas a skymax 102 synscan az go-to and i have a few questions for all you that are willing to help me :)

1 and most important im trying to set the scope up and im doing brightest star which is says jupiter so im trying to set it up but i can only see it through the finder scope and not the actual scope the actual scope is just black and i cant see anything :S and yes i have taken the covers off.

2. how do you set it up to a computer to run off a program because it says i can do it out of the box but the only cables it gave me are the one to hook the box up to the scope a power cable and a cable that looks like a small eithernet on one end and a dv out (computer monitor cable) on the other?

many thanks in adavance from a complete noob :p

Hey, Merry Xmas to you to! im new here also so dont worry! people here are very kind with there wisdom! i have a few questions tho, is your finder scope alligned? what lens are you using? for your second question i have know idea lol:iamwithstupid:

Well first thing your going to need to do is align the finderscope to the main scope, that's a lot easier in daylight, aim at some distant object like a church spittle or telegraph pole/pylon.

The main scope may not be aligned to the finder right now and that could be the cause, I assume you have put a low per eyepiece into the scope. Use the one marked 25mm to start with.

The rest of it will need someone else to advise.

Someone will pop along and help for sure but as it's Christmas and most people are going to be sleeping off a big dinner you may have to wait a few days :)

Anyway welcome to the forum.

Hello and merry Christmas. The first thing you need to do is to align the finderscope to the main telescope. This is best done during daylight by aiming the telescope at a distant tv aerial or building and then adjust the finderscope so that the finderscope is pointing at the same object. At the same time you also learn how to adjust the focus of the telescope and see how the supplied eyepieces vary in magnification. At nighttime you should then be able to align the telescope more easily.

To control the telescope mount from a computer you need to use the last cable you mentioned. The DB9 plug connects to the computer's serial port or a usb port using a serial to usb adapter, the other end of the cable plugs into the middle socket on the base of the handset. To control the mount use a planetarium program such as Stellarium or Carte du Ciel. Stellarium is probably easier to set up as you don't need any other software to drive the mount. Once the telescope has been star aligned the handset can then be set to pc-direct mode and Stellarium can be used to control the mount.

Peter

As already said the finder needs attaching, scope pointed at something reasonably distant and centered then the finder adjusted to match. Do it in the day, just a lot easier and simpler.

I assume that you mean to attach the scope to a laptop with some astronomy software on it that is able to control the scope?

You will have to find out what cable is required. Then it is actually the other way round the software has to be set up to communicate and control the scope.

The drivers required should come with the software, or if a freeby off the net then you may have to locate, download and install them. Club around here uses Night Sky 6 I think.

If you do the alignment I suggest something other then a planet (Jupiter). Planets are not as convenient as a nice bright star. They don't move in the consistant manner that stars appear to do. Time to start identifying a few bright prominent well separated stars.

Make sure that the data required is correct, check everything at least twice.

Haven't looked but have you specified a location? Could be useful if help is needed.

I had the same issue when I started, on first couple of nights out, was not finding anything with my finder scope, Found objects by sight along tube of the scope. finding the object I needed then checking the alignment of the finder scope.

Its a pain at first especially when you are anxious to get that first couple of views, but you'll get it .

and in the best traditions of Sods Law, "cloudy Skies all"

I wouldn't attempt to control the telescope from your laptop until you've got to grips with the basics, it's like trying to run before you can walk.

As said, line up the finderscope, then I suggest point to a bright object and focus. (You might not see the said object even when it's in the field of view if the main scope if it's out of focus). Do all this manually to start with. Then suggest try to mark the focal point in some way (ink line on the draw tube perhaps), so you have a rough idea next time you start.

Once you have found a focal point (as you're a beginner), then you can start the alignment procedure using two bright stars to align on (not a planet). Hopefully you'll have some instructions with the telescope, but mostly the principle is to place the telescope in a "home position", or pointing at polaris depending on what sort of set up you have (not familiar with your scope). Level the mount and having set the location, date, time, you align on two stars. Once this has been done accurately your GOTO should take you where you want to go.

Carole

Archived