Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Novel use for Baader Fine Tuning Rings

Moonshane

Hi all

I am sure this is nothing new or revolutionary but I thought others may find it useful.

I have found that a couple of my eyepieces project beyond the bottom of my 2"-1.25" adapters and when using 2" filters (and when you forget they are in there) there's a danger that you could damage them or even smash the glass in a moment's forgetfulness.

Enter the 14mm Baader FT ring. It extends the adapter enough to prevent the worry of smashed filters for good and of course it's well baffled and accepts 2" filters.

I also use a 28mm FT ring to extend the 2" barrel of my 13mm Ethos to make it a 2" eyepiece rather than a 1.25"/2" combined. This prevents possible damage in the dark to the low slung field lens.

At £7/£8 from FLO this is money well spent.

Pics below

post-17776-133877512431_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877512437_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877512443_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877512449_thumb.jpg

cheers John, yeah I thought about getting one of those but johninderby was selling a 28mm when I bought something else off him and I went for that.

it's slightly annoying that the 22mm Panoptic doesn't have a threaded 2" part of the barrel - NOT (I repeat NOT) a reason for a 21mm Ethos - I'll keep telling myself that.......

• 2 years later...

Shane I just thought of a good idea if you come to SGL9. I could test your Castell Oiii filter and you could try my Ethos 21mm :smiley:

We could throw (place carefully !) my ES 20mm / 100 and Astronomik O-iii filter into the mix too. That would be a fun evening, assuming we get a clear one  :grin:

Archived