SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cartes du Ciel query - finder rectangle

lukebl

Hi, can anyone tell me how I set up the finder rectangle in Cartes du Ciel, so that it accurately shows the field of view of my camera's chip? I can't find the info on the help files.

The default setting on my version is for two cameras (see screenshot below), but I would like to set it for my Canon 450d at prime focus on my 250mm f/4.8 Newt. How do I work out the width/height settings for this setup?

CDC_finder.jpg

Luke, I used CCDCalc to get the FOV settings and put them into No3. Then uncheck all except No3 and check "mark at centre of chart" - this keeps the square centered. Then click on and centre your chosen object and zoom in to see what's going on. You can just see the rectangle in the screenshot. (Now all I've got to do is get rid of the Telrad!)

CCD cacl can be found here:

http://www.newastro.com/book_new/camera_app.php

post-17157-133877512123_thumb.jpg

Thanks gents. Think that's sorted it.

How about the orientation, though? I guess it will be a bit of trial and error to work out what angle the camera is set at. I generally have it in the same position, at right angles to the OTA.

Thanks Steve, that is generally how I orient the camera when imaging. What I meant was the setting of the orientation of the rectangle in CdC. I compared it with an image I'd taken, and it seems that the orientation angle needs to be set at 40 degrees in CdC.

I compared it with an image I'd taken, and it seems that the orientation angle needs to be set at 40 degrees in CdC.

I choose my object in CdC then chose the reticule that matches the camera I intend to use for the image. I then adjust the reticule's orientation to best frame the object and then rotate the camera to match that. This means that there is no one 'correct' orientation angle, it is object dependent.

• 4 years later...

Long time since a post on this subject. But just started to use CduC and have managed to input the data on the chart for the camera but can't see any instructions on how to get the camera description text added

Help required

Thanks

Long time since a post on this subject. But just started to use CduC and have managed to input the data on the chart for the camera but can't see any instructions on how to get the camera description text added

Click on:-

Setup

Display

Finder Rectangle

Enter Camera name in 'Description (last column as shown below)

post-1029-0-73980900-1433356801_thumb.pn

Hi Steve

I have attached the two images. The smaller one is where I input the data and it calculates the FOV and put them into the table on the larger image. No where can I see where to add the description.

thanks for your input

Regards

Alec

post-36789-0-83495700-1433433566.gif

post-36789-0-77630000-1433433676.gif

Archived