NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1

blinky

Had some decent weather over the past couple of nights so I thought I would have a go at M1. I have done this in the past and never got anything great and although I am happy with this image I think it's the target thats not a great photographic object!

This is 3hrs all in 15min subs (12 in total) taken over last night and tonight. Taken with a QHY8 and 8" SCT running at 1.2m (F6.3).

post-13107-133877509316_thumb.jpg

I saw this for the first time the other night, while out observing, and was slightly unimpressed with what I saw. It seemed to be a smudge (Seen through a 12").

So thank you for putting a face to the name so to speak... I will put my hand up to you though, you have more enthusiasm than i do, for all the work you must have put in to this you dont seem to get much back... I would have given up :)

Thanks for sharing though

Keiran

Craig, in DSS, draw a box around the nebula, and try the 3x drizzle stack on it, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Might be just my eyes without my glasses, but is the focus a tad soft perhaps? Or maybe thats just the SCT effect.

The CLS is on its way btw :)

Tim

Thanks for the tip Tim, will give that a go. As for focus, I'm not sure if it was not in focus - I did focus using the Bahtinoff mask but I feel it's a little soft as well. TBH I put that down to the seeing as well as it not being a frac.

BTW, does the image look dark on your monitors? On my imaging monitor it seems fine but on this laptop it's very dim.

Perhaps a little. The stars have a bit of a squished look about them, bit of trailing?

Chances are the focus changed a bit over the length of the session. Do the subs at the end of the session appear softer?

Archived