NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn

So I got up for a minute to take my scope to get my first view of Saturn, and was kind of disappointed, it was far far brighter than jupiter. My question is is this because I was viewing saturn just before sunrise? Or is saturn always this bright? Also I saw a yellow dot nearby, was that titan?

Had my first view of saturn this morning and believe me YOU will know when you find it, the rings stand out a mile.

Like has been said the brightest one you see is venus, if you go one star to the right and then up from that one to the next star thats saturn.

If you were observing with your naked eye, I would say you weren't looking at Saturn because it's never way brighter than Jupiter.

Also, again, if you were observing with your naked eye, there's no way you'd be able to see Titan...

Sorry to disappoint, but I think the others are correct - methinks you were looking at Venus.

I also saw it through my scope, and what was the yellow dot next to venus if that is indeed what I saw? Venus has no moons, and I saw no stars this morning. That yellow dot is what made me think I was looking at saturn.

Saturn is in reality quite a way up and to the right from Venus at the moment, about 20 degrees as a matter of fact according to Stellarium.

Venus, Saturn and the star Arcturus make a nice right angled triangle in the morning sky with Venus being at the right angle, Arcturus straight up and Saturn up and to the right. It is fainter than Arcturus and has a slight yellow tint to the naked eye.

As the others have said, you would have no doubt whatsoever if you had seen Saturn through your scope - it looks entirely "saturn-like" even in 60mm scopes.

The only planet that is "far far brighter than Jupiter" at the moment is Venus.

The yellow dot next to Venus could have been a "ghost" image of Venus in your eyepiece which sometimes happens when you view bright objects.

Edit: I've just checked Stellarium - Venus was pretty close to the 4th mag star kappa in Virgo in the early hours of this morning.

Was it round or was it a crescent? At the moment venus is a crescent and saturn does have a yellowish dot on the lower left hand side (titan) and of course the rings.

If you saw these two in your scope there is no mistaking which is which :)

well it was venus then. Thanks, the planet was cresent. Maybe I passed by saturn and caught a glimpse of titan without realizing it? I can't wait till I get a goto scope. That way I'll know what it is I am looking at. :|

Hi Manok, as the others have said, you would know you were looking at Saturn, its such an amazing sight. To me it seems to give an almost 3D like effect just hanging there in the fov (field of view). Venus has just been at its brightest this year, mag -4.5, its unmistakeable. Saturn by contrast is about mag +0.8.

Let us know when you see Saturn, I'm sure its something you'll never forget:rolleyes:

Alan

Archived