Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BST Explorer vs Hyperion???

I have a Hyperion in 13mm and its a nice bit of glass. I havent ever used the BST Explorer EPs so I cant give you a verdict as to how they compare. The Hyperion is comfortable to use and works well and is probably my most used EP.

I've not used a hyperion, but have a few explorers. They perform really well for the price. In fact I think i've only ever seen positive reviews of them

A hyperion will give you an extra 8degree fov, and has all the nice modular touches. I would expect performance to be better too (though that's because of their reputation not because I've tried them). They are very well regarded, I'd like to try one too if one comes up 2nd hand around 15mm)

The decision about whether to you it's "worth" the extra cash is one only you can make :)

I have both, If you are using 1.25inch eyepieces then I would recommend the BST's as they are a lot smaller and perform nearly as well.

The hyperion's really shine in the 2" format imo

ditto for me too. My 13mm & 17mm Hyperions were excellent, hard to fault really. Until i got an f4.7 newt and then they didn't really cut it. But down to F5 they were excellent.

The 18mm Explorer was not too far off the 17mm Hyperion. Good eye relief, comfortable, no kidney bean, sharp on axis and not so bulky. Slightly smaller field though and i thought the coatings were not quite as good as the Hyperion. I had some reflections with mine. But at less than half the price, it's great value.

I've heard the explorers are good but only have hyperions (17mm, 8mm, and Zoom).

I agree with all above on the Hyperions - plus with FTR's added you can change each one to two different focal length ep's. They also have a thread at the top for attaching camera's for projection photography. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived