Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher 200p v skywatcher 200pds

am i right in thinking that the skywatcher 200p is used just for visual observing, but the skywatcher 200pds is used for astro/imaging only, or can you do both with each of them? .. what's the difference between the two

regards. Rob

They are the same opticaly

Almost :D

As well as the dual-speed focuser, the Explorer 200p DS has a larger secondary mirror which is positioned closer to the primary mirror for a wider field of illumination and to make it easier to achieve focus with an imaging camera. The downside is you might need a focus extension tube to bring some eyepieces into focus, particularly 2" 30-40mm widefield eyepieces.

Both models can be used for visual and imaging but where imaging is the priority the 200p DS wins.

HTH

thanks guy's that's helped to clear things up a bit for me. the thing is i just can't seem to make up my mind which to go for, i know that i want to begin with just visual observing of planets and deep sky objects for a little while. then maybe move on to imaging a little bit later, and so if i do that maybe it might be better to go for the skywatcher explorer 200p ds right away, but then again would that be a waste if i don't or can't afford to progress to imaging cos of costs etc i do realise it's very expensive to do imaging. and so therefore just stick to visual and go for the skywatcher explorer 200p, what do you suggest ? i would appreciate your opinions.

regards.Rob

If you decide you want to do any serious imaging with an 8" you will need a good mount & tripod. I found the EQ5 is only really good for visual with this OTA.The length can act like leverage so it's not all about weight. When you start adding extra weight (dslr etc) onto the focuser this means balancing the OTA correctly but as the OTA is reasonably long this just add more stress to the mount and flexing will be inevitable.

I recently bought a 150P. I heard the SW Dual Speed was a little rough? Prime focus on the 150p is no problem with a canon, may be with a nikon as they are a lot deeper bayonet to sensor speaking. Wanted a DS though, optimal focusing on the single can be tricky (but haven't tried the DS). In fact I rang FLO to change to a 200P (not DS) for the extra FL but mine was already dispatched (so fast!). My next addition will be an electric focuser and I dont think DS or not will make any difference, just need to get rid of the vibration. Excellent scopes for the money.

Archived