Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33

Sparrow

Thats nice. A very challenging target well captured, I like the colour. Unmodded cameras work well with galxies but a modded will add just that bit extra from the Ha regions which this galaxy is rich in.

Philj

Thanks for that. Yes Phil the Ha is harder to catch with the unmodded camera but I think more longer subs might help me to improve this one. Even with the LP filter I'm often restricted to 5 minutes max exposures because of light glow. If the conditions are right I have been able to go to 15 minute exposures and I long for those nights to get more data.

Thanks Martin. The red channel noise is frustrating with this one but if I process it out, I also lose much of the Ha signal in the galaxy. I'm firmly convinced this problem is from LP form a neighbour's garden light which I have tried to mask with an old blanket and garden canes.

I reckon no more than about 30 seconds without a LP filter. I'm in Chester and the LP is really bad - I'm just by the hospital so the lights from there are bad, plus a main raod with high pressure sodiums, and in the distance is a shell oil refinery which lights the sky up. When there's less moisture in the atmosphere I have been able to go up to 15 minute subs, but that's quite rare. Normally, on a good night I can go for 10 minutes max, and as with last weeken, 5 minutes was the max really.

As a comparison, I was in North Cumbria (Near Cockermouth) for a few days a month ago taking 5 minute subs quite happily without a LP filter at all. Sadly there was a full moon so I couldn;t really get any useful data other than a few widefields of the Milky Way.

Archived