NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Novice with DSLR opening RAW (cr2) files help!

I'm a complete novice with a dslr and am having trouble..

I can't open the RAW files.

They are listed as CR2 files.

I can't open them with Photoshop and I've tried with Deepsky stacker but that doesn't seem to acknowledge they exist at all!

Any help greatly appreciated!

What Canon do you have and what version of Photoshop are you trying to use ? I suspect you are using an older version of PS with a newer camera, and ACR doesn't understand the format of the newer raw's. What version of DSS is it ?

You can use the free app Faststone Image Viewer to open and view CR2 files.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

I have Photoshop CS2 that does not open my CR2 files and so have purchased Photoshop Elements 8 which does have the up to date raw processing facility and then save as Tif files for processing etc.

Dave

Have you installed the software that came with the camera?

I Don't know if DSS needs the codecs installed...

Another option for getting the Raws into CS2 is Adobe's free RAW to DNG Convertor...

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 5.5 update

Billy...

This is what i used to work with someone else's CR2 files. Worked well.

You can use the free app Faststone Image Viewer to open and view CR2 files.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

I have Photoshop CS2 that does not open my CR2 files and so have purchased Photoshop Elements 8 which does have the up to date raw processing facility and then save as Tif files for processing etc.

Dave

Hi Dave

There is a plugin on at this site that works with my version of Photoshop CS2

h**p://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7890-8173

hope this helps

Installing the software that comes with the camera often adds the required drivers so many of your apps will open RAW formats.

Picasa and windows live photo gallery open them too.

Photoshop or Gimp will allow you to edit them. The canon image editor seams good too but I don't use it much as I got photoshop cs4.

Another option for getting the Raws into CS2 is Adobe's free RAW to DNG Convertor...

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 5.5 update

Billy...

Hi Peter/Billy

I thought that DNG convertor was going to be so useful, but then discovered that it produces only 8bit files :D, so much of the information is lost. Using PSE8 leads to a 16bit tif file and you also have all the clever sliders of Canon Raw. I feel that it is a bit of a rip off that Adobe no longer support CS2 or earlier with regard to the Canon Raw plugin. PS8 is at least much cheaper than upgrading to a new CS version.

I couldn't see any way of getting the DNG converter to output anything except 8 bit files but I am happy to be shown wrong. :D

Dave

I've tried with Deepsky stacker but that doesn't seem to acknowledge they exist at all!

DSS should always see them. Have you set the pull down menu for file type to RAW files when you try to load them? If it is set to something else (e.g. jpg, tiff) you will not see the RAW files in the directory content listing.

NigelM

When I open the .CR2 Raws from the 1000D in CS5 (using ACR6.2) they come in as 8 bit as well...hmmm....

According to the bumpf on the adobe site the Raws should get padded up to 16 bit ... and you get the option of opening them as 8 bit or 16 bit when you open the DNG in CSx ?

Bit more digging...

OK found it...

Where it gives the info of the colourspace , bit depth and resolution under the preview , you click on this to change it... a dialogue pops up and you can select 16 bit... (underlined text)

DNG.jpg

Same applies when opening Raw files directly in ACR... I cant test this Pre CS3 though...

Billy...

OK found it...

Where it gives the info of the colourspace , bit depth and resolution under the preview , you click on this to change it... a dialogue pops up and you can select 16 bit... (underlined text)

Billy...

Thanks Peter. Once set to 16 bit it stays at that value which is great.

So now I find that I have wasted my money on PSE8 :D.

Many thanks

Dave

Archived