NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My M42 for 2010

Sparrow

Well at last some clear skies. My main targets of IC434 and M33 are in progress and I got this at the end of my imaging session. Just 6 x 5 minute exposures at 800ASA. Flats taken. I'm still getting used to the 66mm Astrotech but I'm quite pleased with its performance.

Slight gradient that needs dealing with but otherwise I'm quite pleased. Hope you like it.

post-14401-133877506573_thumb.jpg

Now that is very good with trapezium not burnt out, I think you may be able to extract even more data from that. M42 is a bit too red as I think there are faint blues there but Running Man is developing nicely.

John.

Thats really nice, its inspired me to concentrate my efforts on getting a better image of the Orion Nebula. I have to get a shutter release cable for my camera so I can get longer exposures at the moment all I can get is 30 second at 800 but my camera is capable of 4 minute exposures. Also a pair of snow shoes might help!

Thanks for those kind comments. Yes the 66mm Astrotech is proving to be a pretty good telescope and I too love the wider filed of view it offers. I've been really pleased with its performance so far. It's also a lot lighter to carry outside than the 8" newt:).

Hopefully more results from the Astrotech to follow

Yep - 6 x 5 minutes - no darks either on this occasion - just flats which are essential for the vignetting. I'd been imaging the Horsehead all evening and just turned to this late on for a bit of fun as I love M42 - it was my first DSO 3 years ago and I still like to return to it.

BTW - The temperature was -7 centigrade which is why I was able to get away without darks.

Archived