Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't decide which telescope I should buy

Hi! I'm a guy from northern Sweden interested in buying a telescope for deep-sky, lunar and planetary observations (no photographing). However, there is an indimidating amount of telescopes on the market so naturally it's pretty hard to decide. As of now, it stands between "Astromaster 130 EQ" and "Sky-Watcher Heritage 130P". What do you think? Are these good options, or do you perhaps recommend something else?

NOTE: I'm not particularily wealthy, so I'd like to keep it under 2000 kronor (roughly US$285). :)

I'll third that. It may be out of your budget for now but a F6 8" Dob or larger will cover Deep Sky well with its decent sized aperture, and has a focal length long enough (1200mm) for planetary and lunar viewing too. Welcome to SGL by the way!

Stephen

Welcome to SGL!

The Heritage is a cracking scope that I think is a great starter scope. Its easy to set and use, and not too big to store. It also gives very nice views (having used bigger scopes I must admit I was surprised at how much I could see with the scope).

You might want to read up a bit on collimation, as mine arrived needing some adjustment.

The most important thing though is to just go out and use it (don't worry about whether you should have bought something else) and enjoy the wonderful views!

Helen

Archived