Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro questions...

cdlftw

Hi all,

Looking at various tutorials on connecting a DSLR to a telescope, it appears you just put the camera straight onto a scope with no lens on the scope or camera? (With an adapter obviously).

Doesn't this just make it the same as pointing a camera to the sky with no magnification? I thought the whole point in using a telescope rather than just some kind of mount would be to get magnification of planets and such?

Very curious here, and would love to know where my line of thought breaks down.

Thanks all.

CDL

With a direct connection the focal length will be the scope's native focal length. So a Mak 127, for example, is 1500mm, giving a 1deg (ish) field of view.

Doesn't this just make it the same as pointing a camera to the sky with no magnification? I thought the whole point in using a telescope rather than just some kind of mount would be to get magnification of planets and such?L

Even a DSLR with a 'normal' lens has a magnification. Most Canon's for example have a (zoom) kit lens with a 18-55mm focal length.

Hope this helps :)

OK, I've got a 8" Dob (Skyliner 200P), with a 1200mm focal length - I know a dob mount isn't the best, but I'm talking 'hypothetical' here :)

Regarding the cameras, it appears that you take OFF the lens, and screw on an adapter to connect directly into the scopes lens mount. Is this not the case? Does the adapter connect to the END of the camera lens like a lens-hood?

Thanks for your reply btw!

No.

When you remove the lens from the camera body and attach a T thread nosepiece - insert it into the focuser then the telescope becomes a great big telelens....

Your camera and 8" Dobbie will function like a 1200mm f6 lens.

HTH

Here's a DSLR fitted to a dob..

31239d1263637524-dslr-achieving-focus-canon_reflector.jpg

EDIT: The 1.25" adapter that comes with the scope should split in two like this..

39722d1280349253-dslr-telescope-connections-f2.jpg

You don't use the bit on the left, and the external thread on the bit on the right screws in to the camera adapter you'd have to get separately.

Archived