Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celestron cpc800 slew fault

Had scope out working fine tonight was slewing to object when i stepped on exstension lead that was pluged into wall,no were near 2 scope,turned back on and found i cant slew left or right up and down works fine,why would this be,i have reset to factory settings,still same,has motor maybe frooze up in base,didnt show no sign of struggling before hand,any idears?

seemed to have fixed it thankfully i tightned the clutch lightly and gave it a nudge it kicked into life,bit of a worry,not sure these motorized scops can handle very frosty weather,i had 3 coats and 2pairs socks maybe motors need coat two lol.

Hi Redfox - there's no logical reason why this should happen. Possibilities may include potential freezing of motor I guess. I'm hoping you didn't short the mains supply and fry one of the motors. Alternatively loss of power may have upset the handset programming - but I'm just guessing.

I think I would take it inside and ensure it was well thawed (leave till the morning) and then maybe hook up a 12V battery pack to check it's condition. I'd use a different cable to be sure I didn't use the on you trod on.

Let us know tomorrow how it goes :)

thanks chaps,one thing that is a pain is were the power plugs into scope,poor design or what,i have to be careful not to wiggle lead else will lose power have tweeked pin slightly to tighten it up,and also the bright red led poor placement,piece black tape over that.

,i have to be careful not to wiggle lead else will lose power have tweeked pin slightly to tighten it up,and also the bright red led poor placement,piece black tape over that.

Yes - use a few inches more of that black tape to secure the top of the power lead to the fork arm so that the connector isn't stressed when the mount rotates.

I've used my CPC1100 in damp conditions at temps down to -8C (ice layer all over the scope tube & mount) and it works OK, the handset display is sluggish though.

Personally I wouldn't apply grease to the motors, they are usually lubed for life from the manufacturer. Lithium grease get's stiffer as the temp drops, so I would avoid that. It has a toffee, or burnt toffee colour, but tastes nothing like it!

I have also read somewhere in a thread that nylon and synthetic materials don't like being lubed, and it actually causes them to perform worse as they stick. Good advice re supporting the cord so the socket is protected.

Hope your scope gets sorted out.

thanks chaps,one thing that is a pain is were the power plugs into scope,poor design or what,i have to be careful not to wiggle lead else will lose power have tweeked pin slightly to tighten it up,and also the bright red led poor placement,piece black tape over that.

I usually pop an eyepiece dust cap over the led.

I usually pop an eyepiece dust cap over the led.

Great way of losing the cap, it will blow away in the breeze within 10 mins & you'll never see it again. Half an inch of black electrical tape, job done securely & as permanently as you want it to be, will easily remove cleanly if you ever want to.

Archived