NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

really stupid question

Its been a few days since I've said something really stupid so here goes. First some background. My back garden Is lit by the lights of a major trunk road in birmingham. Consequently I have to travel somewhere darker. "Not a problem" I hear you say. but unfortunately I can't drive. At the moment I put my nexstar 5 not I or se into a backpack and walk half a mile to the canal where its darker or load it into a trailer and cycle for a couple or 3 miles if I want somewhere much darker. I would like to do some imaging but the tracking on the old nexstar doesn't cut it. So here is the stupid question. How portable is the cg5 or eq5 go to? Could I still carry it in a backpack or would I have to just use the trailer all the time? I would be transferring the ota.

Hi rowan,

Well I own a cg5 goto and i can tell you that its not that portable, certainly you can't fit it in a backpack. It's really quite heavy so you would definitely need the trailer if you are going anywhere much further than your garden.

Having said that it can be worth it if your prepared to transport it, I think its a great mount and is not too expensive.

I would think the main problem with most mounts would be the tripod part and not the head itself

providing you don't mind lugging 15kg in a racksack

If you can view from somewhere that has a table (picnic area) or other flat surface above ground level,

it may be worth your while modifying a surveyors tripod or photographic tripod to have short legs.

For real portability I would suggest the Astrotrac at 2.2lb NEW AstroTrac TT320X-AG Compact Telescope Mount with Autoguiding [AsTr-TT320X-AG-Autoguiding] - £395.98 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

If you want to image from a dark site a CG5 to mount your scope would be first base, transporting all the gear by cycle could be solved by a purpose built trailer, the scope carried in lined bag across your back, or suspended by bungee cords it the trailer.

looked at the astrotrac but its out of my price range about a grand for the travel kit and if i get a tripod instead of their pier still reckoning on about £800 and to be honest i do like go to. I dont think I'll ever have the skills or patience to do serious imaging, I was thinking in terms of modded webcam and afocal astrophoto's. How much does a neq3 weigh?. my nexstar, laptop, camera and table comes in at about 40lbs

Archived