NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader ortho v hyperion

;) Right il make this short and sweet bit like the mak 127...

Ive decided on a baader 7mm genuine ortho but cant help

thinking will the hyperion 8mm for only 20 extra be worth the

extra cost I already no they are both outstanding eyepeices

Guess I just want to no how much of an edge does the hyperion

have for the extra 20 pounds....if any :)

It depends on what you're after and what you're going to observe. The Hyperion will show you much more field and have more eye relief. But 7mm isn't an eyepiece for large objects in a Mak anyway, and the ortho is simply a better eyepiece if you don't want a large apparent field of view (within the field that both show, the ortho is clearly the better eyepiece) and aren't bothered by the relavely short eye relief.

Hyperions's are great, but everyone should have a BGOrtho in their EP box for planetary viewing. These are two very different EP's. If you're wanting an all-rounder, go for the Hyperion. If you want the best detail and contrast for planets, the BGO's are great :)

One of the "extras" you get with the Hyperion is a thread at the top. This enables you to screw on an adaptor that will attach to a T-ring for mounting a dslr. You can also add in FTR's (fine tuning rings) to alter the focal length of the ep - they come in 14mm and 28mm sizes. This would convert the ep to 3 different sizes :)

I agree with Revs. I have gone a bit 'ortho crazy' recently getting a 12.5mm, a 9mm and a 7mm to compliment my 8 and 10mm Radian, 11mm TV Plossl and 6-3 Nagler zoom. Once I get a 15mm TV Plossl I can cope with anything the seeing can throw at me for planets.

The quality of the TV Plossls and the BGOs are superb for the money - as sharp and contrasty as an Ethos which I also have.

Archived