Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some easy to find variables

Hi everyone,

I want to get into observing and recording the magnitude of variable stars, and have tried once or twice to find some listed in the AAVSO database. However, I quickly found that it was near impossible to find the right one among all the dots in the EP, so I was wondering if there are any 'nice' ones which are easy to find, as a few starter projects.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

George

The first variable I tried was delta Cephei. It makes a triangle of stars with zeta and epsilon, and all three stars appear in the same field of a pair of binos, and delta fluctuates between the brightness of those two, and it is regular so you can check your observations easily.

Hey George, have you tried www.citizensky.org. It's a great site dedicated to the variable E Aur. It also give's you a ten star tutorial on various variable's to locate and to submit your finding's on there website and they also provide the tool's for you to do so. After you have submitted ten observation's they give you a certificate. You can print out the ten star tutorial to take out with the scope with you as you observe, hope this help's, ian.

*edit* There website is down at the minute but try in a few day's.

Do you simply want variables that are isolated in space?

Or are you looking for ones that vary over a short period?

A variable that varies over even a year does not show much change on a day by day basis. Many have a period of many years.

Any particular type of variance? A true double star pairing may show variance if we are in the plane of rotation.

Unless any of the main constellation stars are variables, and many are, then the remainder will be fairly run of the mill and may well be difficult to isolate in an eyepiece.

Have a look at the AAVSO site for information on periods of variance. Also the astroleague will have a variable star section which may be able to supply more information.

Beta Lyre is easy to locate, second brightest in Lyre and is an eclipsing binary with a period of 12-13 days and variance of 3.3 to 4.3

I have lists of several easy ones and they have all come from books. Probably Wikipedia has lists as well. May I suggest looking? :):eek:

• 1 month later...

Archived