Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

$2000 to spend!

smoggy

Having just finished a degree in physics with astrophysics I find myself telescopeless :) Having been able to use the main observatory at university I was use to the large meade telescope they had there. I am now getting withdrawl symptoms!

However, I have beenr eading about telescopes and I just seem to be getting more and more confused as tow hcih one would be best suited for me. I would like to take up astrophotography again (maybe not instantly but would like a scope that would allow me to do so in the future).

The $2000 must include the mount and the scope (I'd be happy with that for now and build up my collection of items along the way). Hopefully going to be a qualified physics and maths teacher in a years time so hoping to get the kids involved too so I have another year to save up for a camera and what not.

Ideally I would like to view a few nebulas again as well as planets but I realise without having more than one telescope then compramises would have to be made. If anyone could help with suggestions I would be very grateful. Even if its just the make then I can do the research myself, theres just so much out there!

Ideally I would like an equitorial mount and GoTo features as that is what I became customed to at university.

May I also apologise for yet another 'which telescope' thread too =P

I have seen some great looking photographs of globular clusters and nebulae taken through the SkyWatcher Pro Series Refractors, such as the 80ED DS Pro and 120ED DS Pro, very sharp, but as many here will tell you (just as they kept telling me) they are probably not as good as a large aperture telescope for visual use on faint DSOs, great for planets though. Which ever telescope you buy, expect to pay the same again or more for a decent imaging system if you want to get serious about astrophotography; you will also need the steadiest mount possible (e.g. SkyWatcher EQ6 Pro SynScan), I'd say it's best to invest with the long view in mind, you may not be able to afford everything right away so go for a mount and telescope that you can get used to using for visual observing to start with, your choice of telescope should be one that is good for imaging (they can all be used for visual at the end of the day, you just will see more through some from multiple stacked long exposures than with the naked eye). Or... go for a Goto setup with a good OTA which allows you to easily take the OTA off and later fit it to an EQ mount, such as those with a Dovetail bracket.

For a compromise have a look at the Celestron SCTs or Maks, they are compact and relatively easy to use with Goto, and forgiving on mid-range eyepieces. If you want an SCT on a really good EQ mount you may have to purchase them separately, there are numerous EQ mounted SCTs available but I can't comment on how good the mounts are.

Factor in to your budget the price of three good quality eyepieces to give you a range of magnifications, you may need to buy a 2" diagonal in order to use the best wide field eyepieces (if you buy a telescope that comes with 1.25"). You may also need things like dew heaters / dew shields / dew heater controllers, a power tank, and other bits and pieces (there's always something!)

Here's one you might want to consider:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=127

Archived