Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

celestron 6" Schmidt Cassegrain on Heavy Duty CG-5 Computerized Mount

it will not give as good a view as your 200P but I certainly wouldn't say no to one. The optics are good the mount is good. Its a good scope. if you're buying it for imaging there may be better packages out there but its certainlt possible to image with this set up as i have seen photo's taken with it. I have a nexstar 5 and I'm certainly happy with it. The c6 will give even better views. and the mount is better than the nexstar ones. wether or not its a good deal or not depends on the price you're paying and what you want to use it for. the problem with an sct is its a jack of all trades and a master of none. A newtonion of the same apparture will give a wider view of dso's a Mak will give a better view of planets and a refractor doesnt have mirror flop for imaging. having said that its less bulky than a newtonion, cheaper than a mak of the same apparture and gives a slightly better view of dso's and an awful lot cheaper than a refractor. but to answer your question is it a good scope. I would say yes within its limitations. to give a more informed response we would need to know what you intend to use it for.

I would agree with Rowan 46 though I would not go near it for deep sky imaging myself. In that context it would introduce a large number of quite unnecessary difficulties which would be avoided by a different optical system. And for pkanetary imaging a Mak would be better.

For me the C6 would offer fairly good optics, a very reasonable price and superb portability but, no, I would not image with it.

You need to say how you intend to use it.

Olly

There is a story that says, back when Synta bought Celestron, the Americans were distinctly peeved that a Chinese company owned one of their US brands. They were convinced that the Chinese would not be able to manufacturer Schmidt Cassegrains to the same quality. So, Synta manufactured a new Schmidt Cassegrain that was unmistakeably theirs as it was the only 6" SC on the market. The performance was excellent! Per inch of aperture it was considered as good, or better, as the very best American-made Schmidt Cassegrains. It silenced the critics. Synta then began moving the manufacture of Celestron's other SC models in-house and the brand has gone from strength to strength.

At least that is the story... :)

This is a great combination for visual use. I have no experience with the 200p, but when I mounted my 120mm f8.3 refractor on my EQ5, it shook quite a bit when I focused. I don't have such problem with the C6. The mount is very stable with this compact SCT, and my EQ5 had aluminium legs. I can only imagine the steel legs version to be even better.

Got a C6 SCT and CG5 mount/tripod. What I'd call post-apocalyptic set up...will withstand an earthquake! Use it for visual only at the mo. Not an imager but have seen a lot of visual delight from my local dark skies (N Devon). Can't say whwether it's better than a 200 Newt for either visual or imaging but certainly portable if your in shape.

Archived