Another hello from Hampshire

Spectre486

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Frazer and welcome.

I just bought a new observing chair from Blacks, a reclining camping chair on sale for £15! It is very comfortable and perfect for lying back and looking at the sky through binos while taking a break from the scope.

Pic:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6661/chairsmall.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

Heh - That looks rather comfy. I'd probably end up falling asleep in something like that!

I'll probably go for something like that or a stool. I can't see myself buying one of those special ones that cost around £100. All I want is something to sit on when the bones begin to ache.

Incidently, I managed to convince my wife that she really needed to give me my christmas present early (my new binoculars) :)

So I hurry home from work looking nervously up at the little peep holes in the cloud cover over Southampton - unpacked my bins and headed on out. Naturally the clouds immediately started to obscure as much of the sky as possible, however I managed to get a good look at the moon and Jupiter.

I have 10x50 bins and was able to see a few craters around the edges of the moon. Jupiter was really bright, couldn't see any colours - but wasn't expecting to. Then the clouds finally had their way and I went back inside.

Well - that's a start at least I thought to myself. I saw the wife started watching crime drama on the TV, so I figured this would be a good point to go and read my new astronomy guide that came with my bins. 4 hours later I look at the time and wondered where it went.....but more importantly, I looked outside and lo and behold, NO CLOUDS :)

Grabbed the bins and headed outside again. I started looking around trying to orientate myself.

Locate Orion - check

Locate Polaris - check

God that moon is bright now!

What I really wanted to see was M31, however Andromeda was pretty close to the moon around midnight and it was hopeless sadly :eek:

So there I was.....bright moon overhead and bright street light very closeby - rats. Several minutes later I manage to find a sweet spot by a friendly tree that blotted out the moon and the streetlight in one. Hoped nobody was watching me......must have wondered what on earth I was doing :p

So anyway, back to the sky.

Got my first view of the Orion Nebula which made all the hassle well worth it. Even with the bright moon lighting up the sky, I could clearly see it and even make out some of the bright stars in it. Couldn't really see the shape though, as I couldn't hold the bins steady enough - but that alone made my evening :eek:

Found the Pleiades and the Hyades. The Pleiades looked great, seen them a lot before with my eyes, but never through binoculars. Again, couldn't really keep the bins still enough to try to look for the Merope nebula - but I wasn't really holding out much hope with bins and bad light pollution.

Tried to find the Crab Nebula - but couldn't, the moon was just too bright. I was looking in the right place - but nope.

Managed to find the alpha persei association, with that S-shape of stars - looked great. After finding this, I was holding out some hope of finding the double cluster in Perseus. But after several tries I gave up. The moon was too bright and/or I was looking in the wrong place. I was finding it difficult moving from one star to the next. I was trying to line up things like the branches of trees or rooftops below what I wanted to look at - and then pan upwards. Perseus was right overhead though, and I'm pretty sure I just kept losing where I was supposed to be pointing. Ah well, next time.

So, with one last glimpse of the orion nebula, I called it a night and went in pretty happy. :(

Heh - That looks rather comfy. I'd probably end up falling asleep in something like that!

I'll probably go for something like that or a stool. I can't see myself buying one of those special ones that cost around £100. All I want is something to sit on when the bones begin to ache.

Yes, if you are wrapped up nice and warm falling asleep in it is a danger!

Link to the chair on the Blacks website:

Blacks - Blacks Recliners - Buy the Blacks Recliner in Black online today

It sounds like you had a great night out with your bins. I think the Pleiades look fantastic, possibly at their best through bins.

Some people recommend using a monopod for keeping bins steady, which seems like a good idea but I have never tried it myself.

Chris

hi fraser welcome to sgl :) from bedfordshire

Ironing/ Perching stool HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE with backrest on eBay (end time 28-Nov-10 21:18:19 GMT)

my wife has just bought me this chair for xmas. there have been some concerns over the stability of some chairs, but i like the look of this one, i will post a review on here i recieve it

hi fraser welcome to sgl :) from bedfordshire

Ironing/ Perching stool HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE with backrest on eBay (end time 28-Nov-10 21:18:19 GMT)

my wife has just bought me this chair for xmas. there have been some concerns over the stability of some chairs, but i like the look of this one, i will post a review on here i recieve it

I notice that quite a few people use chairs similar to this. Is this because of the type of scope used? With my Schmidt-Cassegrain scope the EP is never really in an awkward position that requires an adjustable height seat.

Looking at photos of other types of scope I see the EP is at the top end of the tube. Would I be right in assuming that using scopes like this is where a seat a with adjustable height would be invaluable?

Cheers,

Chris

Archived