Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion 20mm Illuminated Centering Eyepiece

Specman

Just wondered if anybody own's or has experience of the Orion 20mm Illuminated Centering Eyepiece? I've just purchased one from SCS Astro and it turned up today with the centreing lens rattling about and the illumination knob not working.

The whole lower half of the body is only held on with a tiny locking grub screw. I slackened it off, the lower half came away and re-located the centreing lens and put it back together with a dab of Loctite on the grub screw. I had visions of it falling apart in the dark! :).

Seems a bit of a feeble way to put an eyepiece together, would be much better as an enclosed unit surely?

In the illumination knob the wire had come disconnected at the bottom, a dab of solder sorted it.

I was, well..., just very disappointed with the quality of the kit. It wasn't cheap at £72 so can hardly be called a cheap and nasty. I thought Orion stuff was pretty good quality.

I want to make it clear, I'm not slagging off SCS Astro here, the service was prompt and the kit was well packaged. It's put me completely off Orion EP's though. The whole tiny grub screw holding the entire lower section of the lens together just seems daft, its a pure friction fit! :p What's wrong with a screw thread?

So this leads me to my next question:

If your looking for good quality EP's that won't break the bank, what would people recommend? I own a couple of Celestron EP's, including a Celestron X-Cel which I'm very happy with. Have considered Baader Hyperion, but quite frankly I have had a few disappinting purchases lately and can't keep wasting dosh on kit! :)

Clear Skies

Mark

I accidentaly purchased a Meade 9mm with an illuminated reticule and adjustable X & Y axis. This is a very good eyepiece except you can't find dead centre as the target can be moved. I mean't to buy the fixed target model but got distracted by the fact that it was a 9mm over a 12mm and I thought the reticule might be more useful.

Telescope House Meade 9mm Illuminated Reticle Eyepiece (Wireless)

I should have purchased this model instead:

Meade 12mm Illuminated Reticle Eyepiece (Wireless)

I got drawn into this model by the eye relief

Orion 20mm Illuminated Centering Eyepiece, 1.25"

So I've made a few financil mistakes! Should have done more research, but its hard when you live in a remote location and rely solely on internet shopping.

Clear Skies

Mark

• 2 years later...

When you say won't break the bank- how big is the bank?

There are several EP lines that are good value but with EP's - like many things in life, you get what you pay for.

Also what do you want from your EP, fov / optical performance / price / wieght / barrel size ?

I want an EP with the ability to see through clouds! :grin:

Archived