Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter SEB revival spot

chrisrnuttall

hello all

here is a sketch of Jupiter from last night.

I observed from 21:30 to 22:30, and the sketch was made at 22:00 GMT.

Conditions were poor with Thursday's gusty wind still quite strong, the seeing was also poor with significant blurring of the image. Due to this there is not much detail in my sketch, and i would not have bothered had it not been for the outbreak.

The SEB was mid-grey, the revival spot was easy even in the conditions. It looked similar in size and colour to a ganymede transit, except it was softer around the edges, and showed some diagonal elongation. There was also very subtle white markings either side of the darker spot.

It is clearly growing quickly and seems to be creating / collecting dark material as it does so.

The NEB was very busy as usual and under better conditions would have been a joy to sketch.

Orion SPX 200. TV 11mm plossl. TV x2 barlow = 218X

CM1 23degrees

CM2 321 degrees

Mag -2.68

Dia 45"

Alt 28 degrees

post-17454-133877501496_thumb.jpg

Hi Karlo

My house backs onto miles of utterly flat open fields, the wind has been coming straight off them and the first obstable it meets is me and my telescope! Nice!

You'd better check on win jupos first, I think the next favourable time is sunday night at about half ten from the UK

Hello Carol

It definately started out as a bright white spot and I think that still exists, but it seems to have developed a grey outline, which has recently become stronger down the following side of the spot.

It is as if the intense energy in the spot is churning up darker material for us to see.

Due to the rather dodgy conditions i was observing in (200X was really pushing it) I was able to make out the darker stuff much more easily than the white spot itself, due to the darker material having better contrast against the still pale SEB.

If you have a look at ALPO japan's Jupiter section, the latest image from the 12th, which is by Marc Delcroix, is at almost the same time as my sketch and it shows the revival spot looking similar to mine but with the more conspicuous bright white spot preceeding the darker smudge. It seems i just couldn't make it out through the eyepiece.

It also shows that the left hand brown oval in the NEB is too near the limb in my sketch, but I'm not going to mention that if you don't mind!

hello Venus...

I used to use coloured pencils but now I mostly use chalky pastel pencils, blending stumps, and a pencil shaped eraser. I find they are easier to blend to get the colour right, and also to erase if I make a mistake or saturate an area too heavily.

best regards

hello Venus...

I used to use coloured pencils but now I mostly use chalky pastel pencils, blending stumps, and a pencil shaped eraser. I find they are easier to blend to get the colour right, and also to erase if I make a mistake or saturate an area too heavily.

best regards

It has a fantastic texture to it, great job again!

Carol

get out and look ASAP. I was out again last night (14th) and the dark area had started to become S shaped as the winds between systems 1&2 shear it in different directions.

There's an image by lukebl from 18:00 tonight in the imaging section and it looks like the rate of change is accelerating to me, the dark sopt is spreading along the belt quickly, and there seems to be a new dark sopt next to it.

Archived