Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another 6" arrives!

Well, finally after a bit of a relay, the AR6 was placed into my sweaty little hands at PSP :D

As some of you will know, I was given this scope (yup, free :shock: ) but had to get it from France... the reason it was free was that the thing appeared uncollimatable since it had been dismantled and rebuilt. OK, the worst that could happen is that I would have a pile of white rubbish... but no. It appears that Meade's ideas about attaching focus assemblies is somewhat different to everybody elses and this was the cause of the problem. Managed to sort this and roughly collimated the scope at PSP but couldn't get a peak through it as I had no mount there. This evening I dropped it onto an AzTech (yes Gordon, it carried it OK with just the scope - no weights) and poked it out the workshop door as M42 was sneaking above the trees. Not bad are they? Had the 17mm Hyperion in there and was pleasantly surprised just how tight things were for an achro... especially one that had bounced around the trailer on the way home.

Will give it a proper test on Saturn and the Moon soon but right now I think I am feeling rather smug :D

Arthur

Nice one Arthur. 6" fracs certainly look sexy!!

Yup - 'cos it's white :D

Congrats Arthur 8)

Sometimes, I think people can get too hung-up on false-colour and miss out on some fantastic affordable achros.

Well, this one's to let me get up close and personal with the Moon and planets for drawing purposes mainly. The little CF 102 is coming back too so I think I have most stuff covered now 8)

Arthur

Did you have to lift the tripod to get enough height though?

Hi Gordon

Currently, there's a *whole* lot of the sky I cannot get to, either form the tripod in the way or me on my knees :D I only put it on the AzTech to try it out... I do see what you mean about needing an extension sometimes now though! When the rest of the mount/bits arrive I'll see what that's like.

Arthur

I've been thinking of putting an ankle weight around the tube of my frac, just in front of the finder, to allow myself to shorten the portion of the tube that reaches down to the ground. I've heard of other people doing it, and it shouldn't need more than about a pound weight.

Archived