Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

grrrrr .. veil still elusive

earth titan

Agreed. I can see the whole loop, both arcs in the field, in a 70mm Pronto with 35mm EP and O111 filter. In the big Dob it is as bright as you like.

51 Cyg forms a naked eye equilateral triangle with 41 Cyg and Epsilon. Can you make this out? If not you probably have too much LP fpr the Veil at your present site.

Lovely when you find it though. One of the best.

Olly

Sounds like either you have a light pollution issue or you were looking in the wrong place. With an O-III in a 12" scope the Witches Broom and Bridal Veil portions should be pretty apparent. They are also pretty large though and will extend right though, and beyond the edges of the FoV of even a 40mm eyepiece in an 12"

Down a bit and left a bit from Deneb isn't it?

:)

That would be the North American Nebula :D

The Veil is not far from the star Gienah in Cygnus. Just move the scope slowly away from Gienah and if you have the OIII in place, the Veil should appear.

post-12650-133877500904_thumb.jpg

I was testing some different filters on the veil last night, just for fun. Using the 10" SNT i could only just make out the witches broom arond 52cygni with the OIII filter and 30mm EP. I have a reasonable dark back garden and on other occassions the veil has been much more obvious.

Stephen

Archived