NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dual-speed Crayford focuser for Skywatcher 190MN (and other scopes)

"Dual-speed Crayford focuser for Skywatcher 190MN"

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=skywatcher_focuser_190MN

Just for the 190MN, well not really.

It's identical to their low profile crayford focuser (except for the knobs) but comes without a base plate. However as it's the standard GSO, Antares, SkyWatcher etc. fitting all you need is a standard base plate such as is available from Scopes'n'Skies for £2.00 or £3.00. In other words SkyWatcher is charging you £30.00 for a baseplate when you buy their low-profile focuser.

I've just posted in the DIY section on fitting one of these focusers to a SkyWatcher 150PL.

John

Not sure I understand John?

The focusser just slots right into the existing plate via 4 allen grubscrews, you wouldn't need a baseplate???

Or is the skywatcher one sold separately for 30 quid if you wanted to put that focusser on something else? Or is a sw low profile dual speed focusser 129 quid, but you dont need it with the plate it comes with? :)

Cheers

Not sure I understand John?

The focusser just slots right into the existing plate via 4 allen grubscrews, you wouldn't need a baseplate???

Or is the skywatcher one sold separately for 30 quid if you wanted to put that focusser on something else? Or is a sw low profile dual speed focusser 129 quid, but you don't need it with the plate it comes with? :)

Cheers

Yes the focuser fits right into your existing baseplate via the grub screws just so long as it is one that takes a standard GSO, Antares etc. crayford.

The Sky-Watcher low-profile crayford focuser includes the baseplate.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=sw_low-profile_focuser

I've just noticed that the low-profile crayford focuser price has dropped to £122.00

It's simply a case of buying the same crayford focuser with or without the baseplate. Saves some money if you already have a suitable baseplate, or as in my case I needed a special baseplate to fit a smaller OTA, and so the SkyWatcher one was no use to me.

I'm not aware of SkyWatcher selling the baseplate separately but as it's a generic part that doesn't matter. Scopes'n'Skies sells the baseplates in their Astroboot section. The wider one for retrofitting on a SkyWatcher Newt/dob is £2.00 and the standard one is £3.00.

John

Yes they would be a simple bolt on replacement with no mods needed. The baseplate is designed to fit a 9" and larger dia. OTA (8" mirror).

One thing to watch out for with the low-profile focuser that comes with the baseplate is that some dealers sell it with the narrow baseplate that isn't a straightforward bolt on replacement. FLO however sells it with the correct wide baseplate that you would need.

However as I mentioned the wide baeplate can be found on Scopes'n'Skies Astroboot for £2.00 so it does work out a bit cheaper to get the S'n'S baseplate and then buy the MN190 crayford.

John

I've had a look at the picture of the focuser on FLO's website and find it's not the same as the focuser that was shipped direct to me from Opticalvision. The one I received is the same as the SkyWatcher Low-Profile focuser but without a base and has a different fine focus knob and also comes in different packaging to the Low-Profile focuser.

The one I got as in the photo below has the following reference.

Product Code 20242 - Dual Speed Maknewt Focuser

So it looks like it's not a case of someone at Opticalvision simply shipping the wrong focuser unless this is a temporary situation. Perhaps Steve at FLO can find out just whats going on. :)

John

You must have seen my post last night :)

I couldn't understand your original comments so concluded you must have the wrong focuser. I posted this last night but then thought it best that I take all three focusers off the shelf and check before responded, so deleted the post.

We don't normally drop-ship something as small as a focuser, they are usually in stock, but we had sold out when you ordered and drop-shipping saved you a 2-day wait. They have sent you the more expensive low-profile model. If you are pleased with it you are welcome to keep it with our compliments. If not we will arrange collection/replacement/refund, whatever suits you.

Sorry for the confusion,

Steve

I'm quite happy to keep it thank you. :)

The focuser came in white molded foam packaging that fitted the focuser exactly and there was no room for a base.

Also what about the black fine focus knob instead of the gold one? If they just shipped the wrong focuser why the different knob?

As it was shipped without the base I assume that they shipped this particular focuser on purpose. :)

John

I'm quite happy to keep it thank you. :p

Good :)

The focuser came in white molded foam packaging that fitted the focuser exactly and there was no room for a base.
The focusers for the 190MN and Explorer DS series are the same, only the base is different. The base doesn't fit in the box so is normally supplied separate. All three focusers are supplied with a base, you should have received one. I'll have one sent to you so when you sell it, it will be complete.

Also what about the black fine focus knob instead of the gold one? If they just shipped the wrong focuser why the different knob?

No idea. It is only cosmetic.

As it was shipped without the base I assume that they shipped this particular focuser on purpose. :)

No, I am guessing it was an error.

HTH

Archived