Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any other Mac users out there?

I'm looking for a way to drive my NextStar 6se from a MacBook laptop. The bundled software is for Windows and the interface cable is RS-232 - obsolete even in the Windows world. I have ordered an RS-232 to USB adapter cable and I do have Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux running under Parallels Desktop. I have Starry Night software but the version I have doesn't have the telescope drivers and I'm not sure that my scope is supported anyway. I also have pUniverse on my iPhone 4 which I can point at the sky and it identifies the objects for me. Anybody else doing anything like this that can offer some tips?

There's plenty of Mac using astronomers out there :)

I've never managed to get starry night or Stellarium to work (others have though) but the following apps work with my MacBook and a variety of Celestron and Skywatcher mounts:

Voyager

Equinox

TheSkyXSAE

Astroplanner (free with a restricted number of data catalogues, shareware if you want more- try the new beta version v2)

Carte Du Ciel (free)

Just google for them, they're easy to find.

With a Mac you only need to worry about the USB/Serial cable and whether the software has built in Mac drivers (all the above do).

You can run things under emulation but I find that Parallels struggles with USB connections - not sure why but I just leave XP for those appas I really have to have running in Windows (tbh thats just CCDWare :D )

James

Thanks for the info folks. I have downloaded and tried all these today and I like Equinox best. It is considerably cheaper than Starry Night Professional and to my eye, a tad clearer too. Have to wait for my USB cable/adaptor before I can test the telescope. Watch this space ;?)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived