NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Triton Grip & Red Snapper Tripod

I got the idea from johninderby's thread where he used one with a monopod.

Link: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/110130-manfrotto-682b-monopod-triton-ballhead-action-grip.html

The Triton was bought from Welcome to Telescope-Service for about £45 inc delivery, very fast delivery tbh seeing as it took only 3 days to get here from Germany!

Doc

That's a very nice setup. I had the pleasure of using a Triton grip at our last dark site meet. It was loaded with a pair of 25x100 binos and worked very well.

The Redsnapper tripod looks very similiar to my tripod, which is an Agena from LCE, which itself is a copy of a SLIK tripod. Great tripod.

That looks great and prompted me to look into a similiar/identical setup.

However, I noticed on the redsnapper website that the RS283 is listed as having a max height of 1600mm or 5'3". I've not used a tripod before but that sounds like it might be too short for me (I'm 5'8")? I realise that the Triton Grip will add some height to the setup but as it looks to be jointed at the base so you'd lose this height when pointing upwards?

Can you tell me if this has been your experience? or has my reasoning let me down horribly? :)

Many thanks

Hi Happy!

The tripod is just under 5'4" fully extended as you say. The Triton head adds about 11" to that when fully upright. That's a full height of about 6'3", which ive found to be more than enough for looking at things at most angles. If you're looking at the zenith then, yes you will have to bend yer knees a little bit, but not very much - I'm same height as you, 5'8" btw!

When ive been using the set up ive not actually had it fully extended yet, so i'm sure you'll find it to be fine too.

Ive also found that if you extend just one leg it makes a reasonable monopod too!!

I really can't fault the quality of the tripod or the Triton though, very nice kit for very good prices I rekon!

Hope this helps!

Doc

Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty much sold on the concept now :)

I see Red Snapper are running an offer for the RS-283 tripod and RSH-24 3-way head for the same price as the RS-283 tripod. I assume the RSH-24 head is superflous as its replaced by the Triton head? I ask as if I order the Tripod by itself I can use the voucher code RED10 to get 10% off. That's a fairly decent discount and worthwhile if I'm never going to use the 'free' head.

Thanks again

Yep, you just screw on the Triton onto the thread that the 'normal' head would've gone!

That's the deal I went for. There will be a little thread adapter for the top of the tripod in one of the boxes to allow the Triton to screw on as the thread on the Triton is a larger size than standard camera / camcorder ones!

For me, the free head is actually quite good and I think will be useful in the future if I want to use a camera or camcorder on the tripod.

If you go for the deal then I hope you are as pleased with the set up as I have been!

Doc

Archived