NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Electric Focuser

I am looking to get hold of an Electric Focuser for my Orion Optics 8"Newt, it has a 2" Focuser (Not sure if its the original one or not). I have only managed to find 2 models of electronic focuser and I am not sure 1. if they are any good and 2. if they would work with my scope?

Has anybody any experience with these or does anybody know of other electronic focusers?

Here are the URL's of the 2 I have found.

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it040081.htm

http://www.switchedsystems.co.uk/index.html

Any advice would be gratefully recieved Oh btw my prime reason for this is to enable me to use my webcam as currently touching the focuser means anything in the view does a merry dance for 5 seconds :D

They will both work Blinky. Is your focuser a Rack and Pinion?

If so, their standard Skywatcher mounting kit will fit. If not, you can contact them and they could make something up for you

I have the Accufocuser myself and it makes a world of difference!!

WH You might be getting somewhere with the mount causing the wobble. The mount is an EQ5 so I think its OK but the mounting rings are too big and are padded out with some foam dish washing cloths!!! I am thinking of getting some cork tiles, or I saw somebody suggest cheap mouse mats. That should hopefully sort it a bit, but I think an electric focuser will not do any harm.

measure your scope diameter accuratly and buy the right sized rings. With your sgl discount they arnt much and it will make a difference to every night of viewing.

Does your eq5 have tubular steel legs or ali box section legs? If the latter upgrade to the former

Yep, Blinky - what Gordon said. I didn't realize you had an EQ5 when I suggested the mount might be the problem. Make sure everything except you is reasonably tight, including the nuts and bolts that hold the tripod legs to the mount, which should be very tight. My tripod is wood, and I think it's unbeatable.

And no, an electric focuser isn't a bad idea. I'm thinking of putting one on my scope to give me finer control.

I have the tubular legs for my EQ5. I suppose I should buy the corect size rings, but are they not quite expensive? Wonder if I can get some seconf hand..... I feel an advert on astrobuysell coming up. But maybe after Christmas!

Archived