Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help

As Nightfisher guessed Im a driver so i have a few nights out every week Being a total newbie so how portable is the sky watcher 200p with an EQ5 mount and would this be a good starting scope thanks in advance

Hi Dafman - the 200P on and EQ5 is portable indeed, but I wouldn't call it a "grab and go" scope. It's a subjective thing but I would have thought a short tube refractor or a 5" or 6" Mak to be more "take anywhere, anytime" scope. If you were cramming it into an artic cab the 200P will take a fair bit of space. It's a great starter scope though :eek:

Thanks brantuk Im looking at Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian or Skywatcher 200P on EQ5 as my first scope but cant decide I dont want buy too small then regret it perhaps a pair of bins for the nights out what are the advantages of the flextube Dobsonian

The flex tubes are great light grabbers, hold collimation well, and the bigger the aperture the better. The 200P on EQ5 as a first scope I can't recommend enough.

For highly portable grab and go on the road, I take either a pair of 15x70's (currently on offer at FLO) on a bulk standard photo tripod, or a 130P EQ3-2 which is equaly light and fits nicely on the back seat - both quicker and easier to set up too :eek:

I will go for the pair of 15x70's from FLO Now I got to chose my scope either a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube AUTO @ £465.00 or the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 @ £369.00 Which would advise and would either of these be suitable to take out to the hills at weekend

i'm in the same boat as you. currently using celestron 15x70 bino's on a rather average camera tripod and i can safely say that i'm very impressed with them.

i think i'm going to buy a 200p explorer on an eq5 mount, unless someone else on here changes my mind again.(200p or 250p dob maybe my other choices)

isn't it a difficult choice?

Both models will afford similar views due to similar optics and aperture. In the dob - an auto is a very useful feature as it will track for up to 30 mins and no nudging required (except to find the object). The EQ mount on the other hand will facilitate photography later on if you choose to go that way.

Two similar scopes with different mounts - depends on what you want to do down the line (the dob ain't conducive to imaging). :eek:

Hi,

I drove an Artic for 25 years. I allways had good set of binos with me, that way I learned the stars.

In the last few years before I retired I had 66 mm refractor and a mount

that fitted on my door window, it was simple but very effective.

mijijim

It's a personal choice really - if you ain't comfy with nudging the scope manually to track objects then get one with tracking. If you have limited time for obs sessions and struggle finding stuff, then you might see more using a goto.

The size of aperture will depend on budget - bigger is allways better with newts for the extra light grab. That said, both 8" and 10" are very respectable sizes.

Me? - I went for the largest aperture I could afford with tracking. Later, I upgraded it to goto when I was a tad more flush. :)

Archived