NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is the Baader Ha 32nm a good start?

Hi

I was reading through MartinB's thread on filters.

I am still a little confused though.

For imaging DSO's, with my modded 1000d, is the Baader Ha 32nm a good cheapish start, or should I go straight for the 7nm?

Will this also help for LP, or what would you guys suggest?

Regards

For imaging DSO's, with my modded 1000d, is the Baader Ha 32nm a good cheapish start, or should I go straight for the 7nm?

For a DSLR a light-polluting-reduction filter would be best. The Astronomik Rev links too and the Baader Neodymium (new type) are good choices but from what I hear the IDAS LPR is the benchmark (I think SCS Astro is the UK dealer, or you could order direct).

A DSLR camera's one-shot-colour sensor is not the best choice for narrowband imaging.

HTH,

Steve

The answer is......... it depends.

It depends what exactly you want to try and image. Ha filters are normally used for emission nebulae, planetary nebulae, or to gather an element of Ha in galaxies to add in to an RGB image.

Either the 32nm or the 7nm filters will yield a mono image, but the 7nm will produce an image with more contrast, better detail, and can be used in full moonlight with very little degradation of the image.

The CLS filter on the other hand is simply a light pollution filter. It cuts out the bandwidth of light used by the most common streetlights. It will NOT cut out moonlight. Many feel that the CLS filter is a little harsh, and there is often an opinion expressed that the cyan hue it gives to the stars can spoil an image.

I have a cls filter which I used to use in conjunction with a modded DSLR, the combination worked well.

I also have the Baader 7nm Ha filter which I use with a mono camera. The filter is excellent, and the detail within structures it reveals is amazing. For what it is worth, the little bit of this photo that came from my equipment (Flame Nebula) was taken with the 7nm filter. More Ha pics in my albums.

In answer to your question then, I personally would drop straight for the 7nm filter. Dont forget that it produces a mono image though :eek:

Cheers

Tim

PS : What Steve says is true, OSC cameras will only use 25% of their chip in effect whilst gathering Ha data, however that doesn't stop them producing some remarkable images, for instance in that APOD image, Steve gathered the Ha for the background with a OSC camera. There are also some examples on the QHY website of OSC shots using Ha filters

HTH

Archived