Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Lightbridge 12" unboxing experience

Hi,

I got my LB at last! I had a few good surprises, since it seems that Meade has improved some bits to the scope from the factory. For example, the Crayford focuser is a 2-speed (in the manual it says that it is only for the 16" LB). In addition, the collimation is performed using knobs instead of the collimating bolts. Also, the OTA does not stand on top of the collimating knobs if put on the floor, since it has some plastic tips similar to the ones at the bottom of the base.

It has also the deluxe red dot finder (but I am not a fan of RDFs anyway, so I am going to replace it with finder scope with 90 degree diagonal soon).

For balance when using heavy accessories or eyepieces, it has a "brake" on the altitude bearings.

These are a few very good improvements, and I am looking forward to first light soon.

I'm glad the scope is with you and is creating a good impression. Be careful with that altitude brake - if overtightened it can score the altitude bearing. I found I needed to add counterweighting to the lower tube assembly when using a heavy eyepiece. The addition of an optical finder will add to this issue but it is worth doing. You may want to consider a light shroud if you have not already - to keep stray light out of the tube assembly and increase contrast.

Just had my first experience collimating a a Lightbridge. I mean, I was scared. I thought of a million things (my screwdriver, for example) falling into the primary. In addition, I was very fearful on not peeling off the secondary mirror screw heads. Without them, I think it will be impossible to collimate the scope. Fortunately, I was aided by the Orion Lasermate collimator. With it, it was easier than I expected. On my first try ever, I collimated the scope in about 10 minutes. Anyway, I was a little nervous.

I have some questions: Which ones are the collimation knobs on the rear of the OTA, the ones with the springs or the ones without the springs? Also, I you mount the scope by yourself, which way you find it easier: to attach the trusses to the secondary mirror OTA first, and then to the primary mirror section, or the other way around?

Any suggestions to make collimating this scope? God bless refractors! They are so plug and play...

I attached the secondary mirror last with the truss already fitted to the primary. On my LB my primary mirror locking knobs are the smaller ones and the adjustment knobs are the larger ones with springs..I think from memory.

Cograts on the new arrival. No wonder there is wall to wall cloud :)

Sounds like the improvements Meade have made are correct. Many of them are the same I have 'retro' fitted to mine and similar to those suggested by others on the forum.

Jealous of your focuser however. Need to get one of these in the future but only when she who must be obeyed is in a good mood.

Can I tentatively point you to this thread?

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/84752-barlowed-laser-collimation-method.html

Works a treat for me.

..Any suggestions to make collimating this scope? God bless refractors! They are so plug and play...

My LB 12" had Bob's Knobs fitted to both the primary and secondary mirror cells - dispenses with the need for hex keys, screwdrivers etc anywhere near the optics. Also, while you are at it, get Bob's Knobs uprated primary mirror collimation springs - the originals are not strong enough and the scope won't hold collimation well.

Agree with you re: refractors but try getting a 12" one :)

Earth_titan,

You are getting wall to wall clouds? I just ordered the scope and got hurricane Thomas!!!!! :S Look at the news!! It's in the Caribbean. All of it caused by me ordering my Lightbridge. It think that we amateurs should alert the local authorities each time we buy a new scope.

Archived