Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount storage

I have a question (or two) about storage of the mount on my new scope. Is it okay to leave the mount setup at my lattitude, with the counter weight and slow motion controls attached, but without the scope on it? Or will the counter weight without the weight of the scope be a strain on the mount?

good question. I'd have thought there should not be a problem but I always used to store the weights off the mount for the reasons you state - my logic of 'no problem' is that the mount can handle the scope and weight so should not be an issue. will be interested to hear from someone that knows rather than assumes like me!

So long as you release the RA clutch lever before moving / storing the mount, you won't have an issue. Good idea to release the Dec clutch lever as well, you will need it loose to balance the tube when setting up again anyway, so you may as well remove any chance of straining the gear train when carrying the thing.

If it's well balanced and the clutches are loose there won't be any strain when stored. If you bring it into the house from outside - point the tube slightly down from horizontal for an hour while it warms up. If theres any condensation it will drip down and out of the tube rather than onto the mirror. Then just a cover to stop the dust. :)

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :)

I've decided to leave the weights off when the scope isn't attached, only because I have to lug the tripod up the stairs and the weight makes it a bit cumbersome.

I do have one more question: When polar aligning, do I set the scope up so I can see Polaris through the eyepiece, or is it just a case of lining up the azimuth and then the lattitude?

When I'd set the azimuth and lattitude last time I couldn't see Polaris through the main scope, it was quite a lot higher than where the scope was pointing.

Archived