Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube AUTO Questions

Hi everyone,

I need to pick your collective brains. I'm thinking of getting a

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube AUTO and have a few questions.

Can you use a laptop and a programme like Stellarium to drive it as a GOTO telescope, or is there an upgrade path to turn it into a GOTO telescope.

And secondly, what eyepieces would you recommend for planetary veiwing and deep sky observing?

Thanks everyone.

Humm

can i throw a spanner in?

for the same price as a 10ich goto you can get a 12 inch, flextube shove it version.

I must stop looking at dobs i have tooo much imaging to get my head around......

Edit 8 inch !!! goto not 10 my bad

Hmmm. I understand that the goto option adds a LOT of money to the price, hence the reason not to straight for that. I'm attracted to the goto as the skies here are a bit light polluted and I've found star hopping quite difficult. I've got a laptop and wondered if it's a viable option considering the auto version has got encoders on it and you could use a computer/software option to drive it as a goto

1. In a valley town in south east Wales. Hills either side, so I guess I'm a victim to moisture in the valley scattering light around.

2. I've had a TAL 1 for years and would like to expand my interest more. On the list would be to see the GRS on Jupiter, polar caps and faetures on Mars and to get better views of the more prominent DSOs.

3. Yes, hence the thought of a flex tube - I thought it'd be easier to store as well.

4. and yes, I can get to some darker sites on the mountains surrounding me, and have transported the TAL out and about on occasion.

I would advise a 10inch Dob or 12" flex, it will fit in the car unless you drive a sports car :)

i really dont think Auto or Goto is worth it imo on visual its nice dont get me wrong, but......

As for star hopping Id say a telrad will help there also set up the Telrad Finder options on any software you use.

I suck at star hopping, so I use Goto but i want to Image, and for that i have to go Equatorial

I had a chat with Firstlight optics yesterday re. goto mod for the eq5...he tells me that you can drive the goto from Stellarium...thats handy !

So that might be an option for me....i look at the heavens and think where do i start...i suppose my understanding of what i'm looking at will improve with time......i hope !

Archived